Psychoshop - by Alfred Bester & Roger Zelazny

I read The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester. One of the best books I've ever read, an all-time favorite. It was fantastic with great action, interesting characters, and deep layering of philosophy and moral.

So I'm at the library and I see Psychoshop by Bester and Roger Zelazny and grab it. The book starts out GREAT! So imaginative, wondrous, witty, and fascinating. Hell, there wasn't a traditional plot or even any kind of character arc and I still adored it - that's how great this was.

And then... and THEN! I reach page 58 and this happens (WARNING: EXPLICIT SEX SCENE):

"Her vulva was the tip of a flower bud which pulsed as we entwined, mouthed, tongued, body to body, head to toe, head to toe, savoring, engulfing. She'd been hissing gently, melodiously, in her own love language. Suddenly she gasped, cried out, and the bud opened into a crimson flower which drew me into it. I made that first deep thrust and then the flower, her body, and her voice began resonating to our passion and joined the loving with trembling sonar spasms that produced echoing vibrations in me."

WHAT. THE. FACK DID I JUST READ. Is this a person or a venus flytrap?!

Even by bad romance levels this is terrible. Mother trucker!!! Why does every single sci-fi and fantasy book I pick up that starts out awesome and interesting eventually devolve into some sex-crazed freakish drivel? The book then went from witty and fascinating to the characters just having sex every two damn pages. They stopped caring about all the cool things in favor of finding new and weird ways to bang each other. I just want to punch a wall right now.

All I wanted was to read one book, one measly book, without any weird romance or sex. Why do these books not exist? Or am I just a magnet for all the horrific sex books? 

*sobs violently*

I don't know if Bester wrote this particular scene, but considering how minimalist and fade-to-black his sex scenes were in The Stars My Destination, I'm putting my money on Zelazny.

Anyway, I would not recommend this book.

2/5 stars