Story Nineteen|Tick

Tick. Tick. Tick.

I glance at the clock, watching it as it's long hand continues it's revolution. A thought trickles into my mind. He's late... Again.

I sigh, looking out the window, where the rain gently splattered against the glass. The weather was rather gloomy, making it a rather bad day for a romantic date. Cars driving past the diner spay water into the air, forming a fine mist. The day seems to go by slowly, even business in the diner was unusually slow.

"Sir, would you like to order anything?" I look at the waitress, who had asked me this question fifteen minutes ago.

"Umm..." I glance at the menu's drink section. "I'll take a cup of coffee, black, please."

She nods as she scribbles down my order and grabs my menu. "It'll be out in a few minutes."

I return my gaze to the window, where my reflection is faint. I note the small bags under my dark brown eyes, my short black hair wild, as if I had just woken up.

The door opens, the small bell on it ringing. I look at the door, hopeful that it's the person I'm waiting for. Luckily, for me, it is. I sigh in relief as his eyes glide across the restaurant. As they land on me, he grins and heads over to the table I'm occupying. As he gets settled, the waiter arrives with my coffee and hands it to me while asking if he wants anything to drink. While he takes a moment to order, I study him.

His firm jaw, pale green eyes, and chestnut-colored hair are remnants of his father, but his height of 5' 9" and gentle personality came from his mother. His body is lean. Muscular, but not too muscular, much like a basketball player's body. What seems to be an intimating man to strangers is actually a teddy bear. His facial hair adds to his masculine look. It wasn't too long, as he had shaved two or three weeks ago. He's wearing casual clothing, a soaked grey hoodie with the words "Go Grey Wolves!" and a wolf howling on it and olive-green cargo pants.

He gives me a shy smile, speaking in his deep, baritone voice. "Sorry I'm late. Traffic."

I return his smile. "It's alright. Rush hour is right now anyways."

He scratches the back of his neck as the waiter returns with his drink. I take a sip of my coffee as I stare at him. He's nervous, but I don't know why. He takes a sip of the glass of water in front of him. He fidgets, keeping his eyes on the table.

"Are you alright?" I ask, reaching over to grasp his hand. He lifts his gaze to meet mine. A small smile from him.

"Yea." His boyish smile makes me relax and return a smile. "I just really missed you."

I chuckle. "I missed you too." We remain quiet, staring at each other, hands locked on the table. Giggles are shared for a few minutes before our food finally arrives. The waitress offers a smile as she sets down our food.

"Fish and sticks for you." She slides my meal in front of me before doing to same for the man sitting across from me. "English burger for you. Enjoy your meal."

I grab a fish stick, dipping it into the small bowl of tartar sauce. My mouth salivates with anticipation as I lift it towards my mouth. I pause, seeing the expression on the face across from me. I giggle at his puppy eyes. "Open your mouth." He does as I ask, biting half of the fish stick once it's in range with a victorious grin on his face.

"Mmm, that's good."

"I hope so." I pop another tartar sauce-covered fish stick into my mouth. "You know I like eating here."

He grins and takes a bite of his burger with English Muffins as buns. "I know." The corner of his eyes crinkle in amusement, eyes filled with love. "I love you."

I lean over the table and press a kiss to his lips, smiling. "I love you too."