Chapter 1

"LET. ME. GO!" I SCREAMED.

Another guy grabbed my arm. I tried to wrench my arm away but they were both to strong. Two guys were holding me. One guy, who was standing at the front, the leader I guess, was yelling orders.

"Get everything valuable from her bags! Her pockets too! Take it all!" He looked at me and laughed, "You are a pathetic girl." He came over to me. He brushed his fingers across my cheek. I snapped at him.

"Feisty. Looks like someone's gonna have ta' teach you some manners," he growled at me then slapped me across the face. My cheek stung, but the sting was way better than being beaten into a bloody heap on the ground, which I watched him do earlier to one of his group members.

"You are a very cruel person," I whispered through clenched teeth. He turned around and looked at me.

"What did you say?"

"I said, you are a very cruel person," I spit at him. He was nothing but a low-life scum-bag to me. I lifted my chin in defiance. He would not and could not break me or make me go down to his level. No matter what, I had to be better than him.

"Am I now? Well, I guess I didn't teach you a good enough lesson," he came over to me, his fist raised and aimed at my face.

As he went to slam his fist in my face, I ducked, making him hit one of his goons. They still had a hold on my jacket, but not me. I slipped out of it and ran while everyone was distracted.

I got pretty far when someone yelled, "hey! She's gettin' away! Get her!"

I didn't look back, I just ran. I took a lot of turns and side streets trying to shake them off my tail. Nothing seemed to be working. They knew these streets better than I did.

I kept running though. I knew I had to get away.

Just as I was rounding the corner, I ran head first into another person. All I could see was that they were wearing a black hoodie. How did they get ahead of me? I tried pulling away but the person was holding tightly to my wrists.

"Hey, hey, stop, it's me." The black hooded figure said to me.

I recognized that voice. At the same time, though, I didn't. I stopped fighting him anyway because he seemed so familiar. That when he pulled off his hood.

At the same time as he pulled off his hood, someone behind me started yelling, "There she is!"

I didn't recognize the person behind the hood, but I definitely knew him from somewhere. Where that place is, I don't know.

"Let me go," I whispered, "please." He looked at the men fast approaching, then at me.

"Follow my lead," he whispered to me. "Hey! You boys looking for something?"

"What are you doing?! No! Stop! Let me go!" I tried pulling away again. He kept a firm grip on my wrists though. I had no idea what he meant by follow my lead, but I had to trust him, there was no other option.

"Yeah, we looken' for something. Something to tan your ass with." One of them said. They all started laughing then. Like it was the joke of the century or something.

The guy in front of me who had my wrists loosened his grip. He pulled me behind him. I fisted the back of his shirt in my hands and pressed up against him the men stopped laughing when they realized that he wasn't messing around.

I buried my face in his back. The goons were surrounding us. There were eight of them and only two of us. Not very good odds.

And, if you want to top all that off, they had weapons. Chains, crowbars, a gun, maybe. We only had our fists.