Reunion

The camp was in an uproar for hours after news of the coming army spread. It took Chiron and Annabeth half the night to get everyone calmed down and convince them to return to their cabins. I imagined that no one got to sleep early that night. The way Justin looked on his way back, I was sure that he was hysterical all night. He probably kept his whole cabin up. Sarah didn't look like she was doing any better, but she put on a brave face.

After the camp was calmed down and everyone was safely back in their cabins, Chiron took me to the Big House. He sent Annabeth back to her cabin, despite all the complaints she had against going back. In the Big House, Chiron and I were greeted by Dionysus and another person that I didn't recognize. He was a strange sight, especially since he had eyes covering his entire body. I had never met or seen him before, but I had heard enough to know that he was Argus, the camp's head of security.

"So this is our new guest," Dionysus said, "I never expected to see a son of Hades at this camp. I assumed Zeus would incinerate any that got anywhere near New York."

"I'm as surprised as you are," Chiron said, "But the fact that he's alive could mean that he's the prophecy child." Dionysus grunted in response.

"Hold on," I said, "I've heard about this prophecy a million times. Obviously it has something to do with me, but I have no idea what it says and I think that it's time I hear it. I think I at least deserve to know that much."

Chiron and Dionysus looked at each other. It was clear that neither one of them wanted me to read the prophecy, but I wasn't going to give them a choice. I had been through way too much and I knew that it all had to have something to do with this prophecy. They were going to tell me what it said, or they would have to kill me if they wouldn't. I guessed that they wouldn't have too much trouble with the latter, but I hoped that they would just give in.

"I had hoped to keep this a secret until the prophecy was closer to being fulfilled," Chiron said.

"I turn sixteen in three months," I said, "I think it's close enough."

Chiron gave me a hard look, but he softened after a moment. "Very well," he said, "I will return soon." Chiron moved to leave the room, but before he did he looked back and said, "Dionysus, try not to kill him please."

"No promises," the god said.

Chiron left the room after that and I heard him climbing a set of stairs somewhere in the house. Dionysus stared at me from the opposite side of the room as he sat back in his chair. Argus stood leaning against the wall in the corner near the god. It was hard to tell if he was watching me or not, since he seemed to be watching everything, but I was sure that he was. I never thought of Dionysus as being a serious god, he always appeared to be more laid back than the other Olympians, but that didn't change the fact that he was one of them. And that meant that he probably hated me just as much as they did.

"A child of Hades," Dionysus said like he was trying to convince himself it were true, "I never thought that one of you would control the fate of the gods, but I guess I should have expected it."

"You don't trust me either," I said, "Just like the others."

"Are you surprised," he asked, "Your father is one of the most evil and cunning of us. He would do anything to exact his revenge on his brothers."

"So why haven't I been dealt with yet," I asked, "Wouldn't it be easier to just kill me and be done with it?"

"It would be," Dionysus answered, "But Zeus has his reasons, some he will not tell. The main ones are Apollo and Aphrodite." I was silent as Dionysus stared at me. "I guess you know they are helping you," the god continued, "They convinced Zeus that you will not destroy Olympus, though I am unsure of their motives. Zeus is skeptical of them, but I imagine he has other reasons for not killing you as of yet. If I were him, I would have dealt with you the moment Athena spoke of your existence."