Prologue

Henry’s deep and jagged breaths cut through the air as he chased Blake down the riverbank. My screams didn’t seem to filter through Henry’s head once he had cornered my fiancé by a wall of rocks. He let out a long yell from his primitive mouth as his hand rose in the air and came smashing down on Blake’s left leg. His mouth opened and attempted to scream but the pain had put a stopper on his lungs.

            “HENRY!” I shouted, running as fast as I could to meet up with the Sasquatch and my Blake. Tears were so welled up in my eyes that it was like looking through stained glass. I tripped every few seconds over various rocks. “Henry, please! Blake is a good man, remember! Please don’t—no!

            Henry’s fist again came smashing down on the exact same spot. There was only one thing I could do…

            I scanned the darkening forest floor around me for a large rock. My worn sneaker kicked at a heavy stump in the earth. I knelt down, wiped at my watering eyes, and took the rock in both of my hands. My knees slowly pulled myself up to a fully standing position as my arms went to the back of my head.

            Before I could stop myself the rock had been flung from my fingertips and made for Henry’s head. There was a loud thump in the late evening and Henry’s movements ceased.

            His head whipped around. Henry’s red eyes glared at me, narrowing to thin crescents. I knew him well enough by now to know the one thing that was crossing his mind: betrayal