Part Three: Plan A

The plan was to first find out exactly who Averia was supposed to marry. They planned it all out. Lunden and Charity were to go to the merchants. Myah, Gracina, and Sarah were going to ask the villagers about the groom.
So they departed the palace, dressed appropriately for their own tasks. Lunden and Charity heard something about Averia's suitor being incredibly rich. Obviously. Myah, Gracina, and Sarah were a little more fortunate. Some of the villagers loved to talk, and they found out that the chosen man lived in the eastern part of the kingdom, and that he believed he loved Averia. But that wasn't much. They had to look harder. Their friend's well-being was at stake.
-----------------------
Averia sat in the silence of her room. She could call a musician if she wanted to do so. She could order acrobats to perform. She could call a servant in for a game of Mancala. Yes, that would do. At least, it was something to keep her mind off her impending marriage. Averia called, and a servant came running as fast as her legs could carry her. "What may I do for you, Mistress?" But instead of "Come and play Mancala with me.", the words that came out of Averia's mouth were "Do you know who I am to marry?" Great way to keep your mind off the wedding, Averia. The servant was surprised only for a moment. She then bowed. "Does my Princess not know?" Averia's face was all the answer that was needed. "Oh. I am sorry, Mistress. I had no idea..." "What do you know about my intended?" Averia cut the servant girl off. The girl shook herself. "I...I am sorry. I know nothing for certain. But....I have heard that it is Governor Nasim, of the Northeast Province." Averia stifled a screech. Instead, the sound from her lips was more of a "MMMRRRRRF!" Not Nasim. Anyone but Nasim!! Averia waved the servant out. She needed to be alone. Governor Nasim was one of the cruelest men in Arabia. He had married twice before, but both wives were now dead. One had jumped of the roof of her palace, and the other died trying to give Nasim the son he was so desperate for. Nasim had mourned her only until he found that the child she carried was a daughter. Then he had dismissed it and begun his search for a replacement wife. What on earth were her parents thinking?!? The worst possible outcomes swirled in Averia's mind. She saw herself old and tired, beaten down, her spirited ways gone. She saw herself as a young mother, living in unreasonable shame for bearing a girl. Or as a hated wife, having done nothing but breathe the air of Nasim's palace. There must be an escape from this doomed life! Averia refused suicide. No way. She was stronger than her problems.

But she could run away.