With or Without You

Nikolas on the other hand waited and watched Frollo, wondering what exactly he would do when he got better? Reward Healia for saving his life? Ha, like Frollo would ever show gratitude to a gypsy. He was a selfish, narrow-minded, ignorant old...suddenly a thought came to mind, making him pause his silent insult. What would the consequences be if he killed Frollo? Yes he'd found reason in what Healia had said about Paris being in an uproar but in reality, would they? Or would they dance in the streets, glad to be free of his tyranny? Hadn't they lived under his vicious rule for too long? Watching others burn and be executed just because of their skin? They gypsies worked didn't they? He'd seen many of them while in the Court struggling to find some sort of work within the city, some taking the filthiest jobs to try and fit it, to bring their families a better future. They didn't deserve to be treated like muck when in reality they were innocent people looking for a home in Paris, Frollo should not punish those who had done no wrong. Though he'd seen gypsies who stole and robbed, he didn't think a few bad apples should ruin the lives of dozens of innocents. Frollo did not deserve such power, with a single wave of his hand women, men and children were executed, all because of his lack of knowledge. As Nikolas began to seethe with rage he heard a voice, dull and hoarse.

"Well, well, why are you angry now? You usually get upset over the most foolish things Nikolas." Nikolas turned to find Frollo awake, still lying with the blanket draped over his frame. He gave a bitter laugh.

"I'm upset over how Healia treats you with such endearment when you only deserve death." Frollo scoffed but glanced at the roof.

"Is that really the woman you spoke of? The one that could read and write?" Nikolas gave a swift nod.

"Yes, but first of all, you cannot talk to her about our little conversations in the Palace of Justice, she cannot know you have met me before. If you even whisper a word, I will not hesitate to kill you Frollo, even if it results in my own death." Nikolas threatened. Frollo seemed unaffected by the threat. He merely lifted an arm, looking over her handiwork.

"Good with her hands, it's been a while since I've been so injured. In fact it's been a very long time since a woman has dared to care about me." Nikolas bristled at the Judge's words. Glowering at Frollo Nikolas muttered agitatedly,

"She doesn't care about you, she takes care of many gypsies and equally takes care of each; she cares nothing about you." Frollo glanced at Nikolas and smirked.

"Ooh, jealous aren't you?" Frollo taunted, lining his words with the perfect bait.

"I'm not, jealous! I'm just telling you the truth, she won't ever care about a man like you, the man who kills her friends and family." Nikolas hissed, trying to cover his jealousy with anger. Frollo snorted.

"It's what that villainous race deserves. I'm merely cleansing Paris and protecting it, my job. Now," Frollo paused, silently unsure whether this would be the right thing to say.

"tell me about her. You know her best, why would she save me if, as you say, I kill her friends and family?" Nikolas shrugged.

"She merely told me no one deserves to die by burning, not even you. Something I greatly disagreed with." Frollo felt all the bandages under the blanket, proof of her caring nature, how she took it upon herself to nurture him back to health. It was astonishing, did she really believe that? That no one deserved to be burned? No, this was all nonsense; he couldn't let this get to his head. Then Nikolas spoke up, "How does this complicate the plan? With you being nurtured and tended by a gypsy after all." Frollo gave him a glare.

"This changes nothing, merely more time to think. The house burning was probably an attempt to either end your life or mine. I'm guessing the gypsy rats found you were giving information? Is that why you're here, hiding away like the coward you are?" Nikolas sneered.

"And what about you? Needing to be undressed and fed by a woman like a babe? You were on the bloody first floor in that house, why didn't you get out?" Both simmered in their hate, staring at the other with hostility. But then Frollo shut his eyes.

"I'm tired and at the moment, very beaten. We shall save this argument for later, I need to sleep." He murmured. Nikolas gave a grunt and replied tensely,

"Remember Frollo, don't speak of our times in the Palace of Justice and definitely do not try to get information or anything else from Healia. I caught her looking at you while dressing your wounds." Frollo snorted.

"The little harlot, staring at me in such a state. She was probably enjoying how I lay with no power of my own." Frollo snapped, but deep down found that he didn't mind that she'd taken a second glance, in fact he felt shocked. Yes he had done his best to stay fit, riding his horse and of course, swordplay, but he'd never thought it would do much other than keep him living longer. In fact,he'd never even pondered what others would think at the sight of him. But now,he needed to sleep because the more sleep he had would make him heal faster.And then he could escape this place and finally bring down the Court of Miracles. With or without Nikolas' help.