Chapter 6 - Retribution

Chapter Six

R E T R I B U T I O N

June 5th

Jemima

Scrunching my eyes tight, I pull the blanket up to my chin and drown out the whispers. It's warm, and soft. I don't want to break the spell of such comfort.

Jemima.

This time I jolt awake, and I find that the whispers aren't part of a dream, or my mind playing tricks because as a I roll over to my side, and my stomach howls in discomfort, Ruby's face appears like a blurry mirage.

"Jemima, I didn't want to wake you but you were talking in your sleep and close to falling off the sofa," she says softly. "I tried to be as quiet as possible. Here's some water."

I shake my head, and try to haul myself up. My hair snags on one of the cushion zip pulls, and Ruby helps me untangle it, an expression of concern and bemusement on her face.

"How long..." I say between lengthy pauses. "Was I... asleep... for?"

"A while. It's just gone nine thirty."

"Oh fuck." I wrestle with the blanket, kicking it off to find my feet. Turns out I'd left my balance somewhere between getting off the night bus and agreeing to crash at Ruby's apartment because they feel wobbly, and off kilter.

I try and recall last night, and I remember sitting at the breakfast counter in her kitchen, and the weak orange squash she forced me to drink but after that, I'm not sure of anything.

Ruby laughs, and stops me from swaying. "Don't panic."

"But I'm supposed to be at work. We're supposed to be at work, oh christ."

"Jemima, calm down. I've already emailed the office to say that we're doing a recce for next weeks feature - you know the top spots for weekend brunch?"

I mumble how I'd forgotten all about that, and the panic heightens.

Again she pushes me back down. "So, I've said we're going to research a couple of places, and come in after lunch. Thought you might want to sleep off your hangover."

"Really? You've done all that this morning?" I gasp and it rips through my throat. When I fumble for the glass of water she passes it to me.

"I couldn't sleep. Been up for a couple of hours. I've emailed you a list of other brunch places to feature, a bit more research so we don't actually have to visit them all today," She assures me, pulling her knees up tight as she watches me navigate shaky hands to bring the water back to my lips.

"You're amazing," I tell her once my voice sounds less hoarse. "Very smart too. I like you're plan. I accept it, don't think I could stomach going in right now."

"That's what I thought," Ruby nods towards the other mug. "It's coffee but I've only got instant, and no milk left. Sorry."

Evidently I've been training her well because strong coffee is just what I need to clear out any lingering ripples of a hangover. Bring me back to life.

As Ruby sits beside the sofa, already dressed in jeans, a camisole and check shirt she drags my bag across the hardwood floor, and let's me know that my phones been going off all morning. "But I didn't want to wake you," she adds sweetly.

I check it, and see that I've got missed calls from Abbie. But my batteries running low, so I text her to apologise for bailing, and to assure her that I'm fine.