Chapter Sixteen, Part II

WESLEY BURST THROUGH the hospital doors upon receiving the news of Avery's accident. When he received the call from Avery's phone number, he joked about finishing all the tubs of ice cream, thinking that it was Avery. That, however, soon slipped his mind when the hospital staff informed him of his best friend's road accident, saying that he was apparently the last person she dialed based on her phone's call log. They had already tried calling her parents, but not a single member of her immediate family picked up the phone.

He went out of the house in the pouring rain and rushed toward the hospital, nearly tearing down the road. He had to reach the hospital; he had to see Avery.

They say that you lose the ones you love the easiest, no matter how much you try to protect them from the dangers of the world. The truth is the more you protect them, the more they became vulnerable. Avery was protected, but she wasn't vulnerable. She slashed her ex's tires and created absolute chaos in an A-class bitch's life. If there was anyone who was strong, it was Avery. What did she do to deserve all of this?

Avery was nothing but a kind-hearted girl, even before Wesley had left in search of his older brother, Nathan. She was caring and kind. Before Charlotte Brooke stormed into her life like a tornado, Avery was the poster child for everything good and perhaps even perfect.

Hell, she was perfect to him, and that was all that mattered.

So when he burst into the hospital door in a soaking mess, the nurse had to try to calm him down, telling him that she was in the operation room at the moment. What nearly drove him insane, though, was that Avery's condition had not stabilized yet, and that made Wesley's nerves fray, sending his thoughts into a wild flurry. He had to force himself to put his trembling hand into the pockets of his leather jacket to retrieve his phone. He had to force his voice to stay clear while he dialed both William and Nathan. But he broke down the moment he reached his third call—his baby sister, Winnie.

"Hello?" Winnie's sweet voice broke into Wesley's thoughts, but he couldn't even speak a coherent word.

"Winnie...It...it's Avery. I am at the...the hospital now." Wesley refrained himself from crying, desperately trying to hold back his tears as his voice trembled.

Luckily, Winnie immediately understood what her brother was trying to say, and she told him that she was on her way. She ditched her current blind date for her best friend and tore down the street in her Mustang just like her brother did.

The whole gang, meaning the triple threats, gathered outside Avery's operation room, and everyone was only growing more and more anxious as one hour passed. However, an hour soon bled into two, three, and then four. By then, the trio was already pacing back and forth, all chewing their nails down to the bed as they anxiously waited for news about their friend.

Wesley almost burst into relieved tears when the nurses finally came streaming out of the door, but once he noticed that something was up, his heart dropped again. They didn't even bother to speak in whispers and just yelled at one another, asking for more bags of blood. He paled drastically when the cogs in his head fell into place.

They ran out.

And this fact made Wesley go back into full-on panic mode. He knew all his friends' blood types by heart, only because they had a school-required checkup years before he left in search of Nathan. Confirmed by the nurses' loud and frantic shouts, Avery was an O–, and that was probably the rarest blood type ever, a universal donor, and yet the rotten hospital had run out of supply.

Wesley was still panicking when Winnie's voice snapped him out of his mini-trance.

"I'm just asking! No need to shout, you bitch!" Wesley saw a furious Blake, and he wanted nothing more than to walk over and punch the bastard in the face. The latter had his shoulders squared and his fists clenched as he spoke, ferocity tainting his words. To think that they had been best friends a long time ago, yet Blake had changed so much during Wesley's time away that things between them could perhaps never be the same again.