Shane | Family

I couldn't find her. Phoenix had disappeared, still angry with me. Even though she had spoken to me, I could tell she was tense, ready to punch me in the nose at any given moment. I kept calling her name into the darkness. I turned to ask Shyanne if she'd packed a flashlight, but she'd disappeared, too. I was... Alone?

"Shyanne? Phoenix?" I asked the bleakness. The scene had changed, probably with a strong human dream. The forest had melted away into a spiraling blackness. Someone had cheery thoughts. "Hello?" I finally asked, getting the sickening feeling someone was watching me.

"Brother." I heard a soft voice behind me. I turned and nearly broke into sobs. Kayla was standing there, but it didn't seem like her. She was wearing her night clothing, white shorts and a My Chemical Romance tee shirt. But they were torn and dirty. She didn't have shoes on, and her feet were cut and blistered. Her eyes were tired, their light dimming. Kayla's once tan skin was sickly pale, and there were dark circles beneath her eyes. Her beautiful brown hair was now stringy, long, and matted.

"Shane." Said two voices in unison. My parents were standing behind me. Mom's blond hair was turning grey, her skin pale as Kayla's. Her blue top, jeans, and white apron were torn. Her brown eyes were tired, sunken, and empty. Dad's brown hair was matted, his green shirt and grey jeans filthy. His blue eyes were heavy with depression. I could see everyone's bones.

"Mom... Dad... K-Kayla..." I stuttered, holding back tears.

"Shane, help me..." Kayla said weakly.

"Kayla, how can I help? What do I do?" I stumbled towards her. I tried to touch her cheek, but she crumbled to dust before me. "No!" I shouted. I turned to my parents. "What do I do?"

Mom took a painful step forward, her body shaking. "Nothing, sweetie." She said gently, but there was hostility in her eyes.

My father placed a hand on Mom's shoulder. "You've failed us." He said coldly.

"What?" I asked, hoping they couldn't see the fear in my eyes.

This wasn't happening, was it? I had always worked so hard to help my parents. When Kayla was born, we really needed help. Don't get me wrong, we loved Kayla, but she was expensive. I had to get money to keep my sister safe.

"She's dead." Mother said quietly, looking down.

"What?!" I shouted, anger suddenly filling me. No. She can't do this to me! They can't do this! "What are you talking about?" I asked, my voice cracking. "She's fine. I know she's fine. Phoenix and Shyanne are saving her."

My parents shook their heads and started moving towards me. "You were never good enough." Dad said.

"You will pay." Finished my mom.

I started backing up, but there was nowhere to go. I was trapped.