Chapter 2

I continued to take in every feature of his bare chest, and then I frowned when I noticed three long pink scars that went diagonally all the way down his chest and ended at his hip.

"What happened?" I asked, tracing the scars lightly.

He closed his eyes and took a long breath. Without opening his eyes, he said: "I got attacked by a dog a few years back."

"Oh." I said. It was such a blank explanation that something told me he was lying. But I wasn't going to force him to tell the truth. It was his secret, so I'd let him keep it.

"Yeah." he responded.

CHRIS POV

I had to tell her that I was attacked by a dog. I didn't want her to know that I had practically died after I was pinned down by another wolf and lost the fight. I had managed to somehow kill him and walk away, but I was bleeding badly and had to go to the hospital with the excuse that I had gotten "attacked by a dog." I didn't like lying to my mate and telling her the same story that I had told everyone else, but it would protect her from my secret. For now. I could tell she didn't believe me, and I felt ashamed. I shouldn't lie to her. I wasn't supposed to keep any secrets from my other half. This secret especially. My deepest, darkest secret that I had never told anyone. Anyone at all. And I couldn't have any friends, cause if anyone really got to know me they would know I was different. And if they knew what I was, well, I'm not sure how they would take it. I wasn't even sure how Taylor would take it. I didn't want to tell her, but I also didn't want her to just find out without me showing her. That would destroy any type of trust she had for me.

I opened my eyes and saw her staring at me. I noticed she had stopped tracing the scars on my chest.

"What's wrong?" I asked her.

"Nothing." she said.

"What is it?" I asked again.

"I don't know why I feel so strongly towards you. I just... I've never felt like this towards someone before." she admitted, her eyes dropping to my chest again so she didn't have to meet my gaze. I sat up and cupped her face in my hands.

"It's called love." I whispered, and then I kissed her again. She was hesitant this time about kissing me back, and I was afraid she didn't want me anymore. This made me nervous, and I quickly pulled her closer and deepened the kiss so she couldn't break away. I couldn't lose her. Not now. Not ever.

I could feel her hands go down to trace the muscles on my chest, and she traced the longest scar down to my hip and hesitated when she got to the hem of my jeans. I wanted her to keep going. I didn't want her to stop.

"Taylor." I groaned.

"Yeah?" she asked.

"Why did you stop?"

"Cause we're in the middle of the woods." she whispered agaisnt my lips.

"So you're saying if we were in my bedroom you wouldn't have stopped?" I asked with a smirk.

She bit her lip and smiled. I could tell what her answer was as soon as I saw the look in her eyes. She couldn't resist her own mate. I scooped her up in my arms and looked up at the sky. The moon wasn't quite full yet. Tomorrow it would be. I couldn't be around Taylor then.

I ran as fast as I could with her in my arms. It was hard to see in the darkness of the woods, and I clenched my jaw in frustration. Could I use my wolf eyes? Would Taylor notice? I hoped not. Once I felt my vision change and the darkness became much clearer, I knew I was using wolf-sight. I made sure to keep my head up so Taylor didn't see.