fourteen. stars in the sky

[Dedicated to Diane, my reclusive cousin who is also here on Wattpad but doesn't really want to acknowledge the fact that she knows me in real life. Diane, I just want to let you know that I love you so much as not only a cousin but also a friend, and I'll always be here for you. Sorry for the all the times I get too obsessed with my phone. And also, we should actually finish a song together.]

Dacey held up a finger. "Let me get this straight: you somehow got yourself into Dom Amaro's backyard pool, and that was how you got the horde of puppies to help us set up for Cara's birthday party?"

I scoffed, leaning back on my couch and shifting my butt – my feet felt unusually lumpy. Reaching down, I fumbled for the crack between the cushions on the couch. As I felt something, I frowned and pulled a half-eaten cookie out. "The fuck!" I cried out, hurling the piece of food away from the couch. "God, those 'puppies' did a horrible job of cleaning up!"

Dacey snickered, covering her smile with her hand. "Overreacting maybe?"

"I don't usually find food bits in my couch," I griped, slouching back down on the couch. "And by the way, I find it really distracting to look at you like" – I waved both of my hands helplessly – "that."

"What?" Dacey rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest, which was very scarcely covered by the skimpiest bikini top that I had ever seen in my life. She crossed her very tan and lean legs, which were resting on my coffee table. "I look very mature and sexy, if I must say so."

I caught sight of the cookie resting on the edge of the rug a couple feet away. "Don't even bother."

That cookie was seriously mocking me. But I did have to deal with a provocatively dressed Dacey who was all but willing to pretend to be a stripper in order to get my brother's attention. Therefore, I turned my body to face Dacey, who was reclining on the other couch.

Dacey lifted her sunglasses, resting them on the top of her head. She looked like she was imagining herself on the set for a music video of a group of teens fraternizing on a sunny beach – completely maybe disregarding the fact that she was inside in a completely controlled setting on my couch. "You can't even admire my fine fashion choice?"

"I mean, I don't even know if I could count that thing" – my hand shook as I pointed to the pieces of cloth that were covering her privates – "as clothing in the first place, let alone fucking fashion."

Dacey rolled her eyes with her hand still resting on her sunglasses. "Stop acting like a horrified nun, will you?"

"Well," I said, shrugging, "my brother is acting like a newly committed monk, so I have to assume his attitude. Better you hear it from me than from him."

"You act like he's a saint," Dacey called out loudly, taking off her sunglasses now. "I mean, he can barely talk whenever we're in the same room."

I put a finger on my chin. Was I going to destroy all of her self-esteem now, or was I going to tell her a bald-faced lie that would probably influence her to act even more brazen than she already was (dressed in the thing)? I chewed on that finger thoughtfully, frowning a little. Well, even though I liked watching Dacey thoroughly terrify my brother, I did have a duty to help her as much as I could.

I shrugged. "Well, I mean, you are half-naked. And he is a little hormonal, like all college kids."

"Kids?" Dacey lifted her leg, stretching it as she sent me a dismayed look. "Your brother is no kid. He's a man now." She let her lips twist into a smile. "Ever since I saw him shirtless two years ago. Can I say hot?"

If she was going to start fanning her face with a Cosmopolitan magazine now, I swore that I was the one who was going to pass out.

"Save it for Cara," I said, holding up a finger.