nineteen. adelaide's second lament

[Dedicated to Anthea, who's one of the loveliest people I've met on Wattpad. She is literally the sweetest, and her books are hilarious. <333]

For the first time she'd seen me in weeks, Cara made such a huge deal about coming over that I almost regretted wanting to hang out with her. But again, that was typical Cara, and that was her way of saying that she had something other than her intensive internship brewing in the back of her mind.

In situations like these, it was always helpful to have a goofy Dacey by my side, but Dacey had gone MIA no matter how I tried to contact her. I had no choice, really-I was about to spam her phone with my frustrated Guys and Dolls quotes, but then, I realized that wouldn't help my situation at all.

It was a great thing, hanging out with Dom. It really did make me truly aware of how annoying I must seem whenever I went on a torrent about my favorite musical. Ah, well.

So as Cara and I leaned back on a couch in my lounge, I threw a Cosmopolitan magazine over to her and raised my eyebrows at her little frown and crossed arms. "What's up with you today? Did your supervisor tell you that you messed up his coffee?" When she didn't respond, I scooted in a little closer to her and opened the magazine, nudging her side with my elbow. "Come on; I need someone to discuss late summer fashion with!"

Cara turned her head to look at my face and then immediately closed them. I leaned away from her a little, appraising her a little more closely. Was my face really that horrifying? Even though I rarely tanned, I did often get sunburns, but I was sure that I didn't have one (my motivation to stay vigilant about skin care came from Dom and his steady, scrupulous eyes).

But from the way she wasn't responding to me, I decided to knock off my jokes and head straight into the matter.

(However, I was by no means too much of a sympathetic listener, let alone a good therapist, so I honestly had no idea how this was going to turn out. If I was right, and this all had nothing to do with work or us, then I'd definitely fail. Spectacularly for that matter.)

I poked Cara's shoulder. "Come on."

There was silence.

Well, there was some more evidence that I was not destined for a career in counseling other people.

"I don't know, Lottie," Cara mumbled to the ceiling, her eyes still closed. "It's so weird, and it feels a little wrong to me for some goddamn reason..."

I squinted at her. Since when did Cara get so downbeat? If anything, she was the one who kept Dacey and me moving with her sarcasm. And now, I was supposed to take over her role and invigorate her? The real question was with what I would do that. Some more Guys and Dolls facts? After all, that was all I knew."

"Frank Sinatra said that Guys and Dolls was his least favorite movie in which he acted," I blurted out. My eyes steadily grew wider as I kept on blabbering, but as usual, once I got myself started on Guys and Dolls, there was no stopping me (not even the influence of Dom's glares). "I mean, I think that his role was one of the best in the history of film ever, but Sinatra just-"

"Please shut up," Cara groaned, stretching her arms behind her head. "Although shouldn't that fact make you feel a little worse about your movie?" She opened her eyes and glanced over to me. "Arguably, your favorite role in the movie was played by someone who hated what he was doing."

She had actually been listening to all those times I'd been rambling on about the characters-that was how she knew Nathan Detroit was my favorite character in the movie! Did this merit a cake or a large celebration of some sort for me?