3. Discovery

A soft luxurious pillow beneath my head is what I first register when I feel myself come around; the second is wonderfully warm and soothing blankets. And lastly the feel of a comforting hand laced around mine, with the soothing rhythmic motions of the others thumb stroking my hand. I wriggle in the bed and blink, wincing against the bright light.

"Clara?"

I smile softly at Oliel's familiar voice and turn my eyes to meet hers, only registering the worry in them after a few moments;

"Hey?" I sigh and attempt to sit up, but she is suddenly fussing over me and insisting I lie still. "Ollie I'm fine," I chuckle softly. For it is true, I feel fine, a little tender but perfectly healthy.

"Yes, I know, and have you any idea how lucky you are to be just fine!" she scowls when I ignore her protests and shove myself into a sitting position. I grin defiantly at her, and shuffle back against my pillows. "Clara! Be serious!" she cries and suddenly my face drops, as my memories come flooding back with crystal clarity.

"Ollie the guard, there was an attack, is everyone well? Are they safe?" I gasp and uselessly try to disentangle myself from my covers.

"Everyone is fine! You were the only casualty, as usual!" Both Ollie and I turn our attention to the snarky tone of the Captain of the guard.

Aradan smirks from his position leaning in the doorway; I only register now that I am in the healing halls, and not in my own quarters or the woods. I peek around me and try to inconspicuously check myself out for injury. I don't seem to find any, except a throbbing sensation in my ankle and this continued weariness. So, I turn my questioning gaze to my friend and await answers;

"The bite from the spider elicited a weak poison, it was maybe too small to cause any major damage," Aradan responds to my silent questioning with a stiff voice. "You were very lucky!"

"Which is why you should rest," Ollie interjects and gives me a pleading look. "The healers took some of your blood to test, just to be sure, the results haven't returned. So you need to rest and stay still."

"Ollie I am fine," I reply and pat her arm in understanding. "I died twice, this is nothing."

"That is not even remotely funny," Ollie frowns and shakes her head. "Thranduil is going to be a raging bull when he gets here. I would suggest you don't use that line with him."

"How long have I been out?" I suddenly ask and ignore the inevitable truth, that yes indeed my husband will be locking me in a tower for the next decade.

"You passed out a few minutes after the attack," Aradan begins and comes to rest on the edge of my bed. "You came around a few times, but you were delirious and talking complete nonsense. We arrived here at dawn this morning, and it is now the afternoon. You have slept soundly all this time; the healers didn't even need to sedate you."

"Well, that is bizarre," I mutter aloud, because generally I do not sleep very much at all, and to top it all off, I still feel like I could hibernate for a month. "But the woods?" I question and Ollie lets out an exasperated sigh.

"Not that I have heard much," Aradan replies and gives me an encouraging smile; "But Lord Glorfindel and some of the others have stayed behind to find the source. They think it has something to do with the spiders?"

"I would concur," I grumble and wince at the throbbing in my ankle. However, my self-pity is interrupted by the distant sound of someone shouting rather unhappily, and I sigh when I recognize the voice.

"He really does not need any announcements," Aradan attempts a half smile, as he rises from the bed and gestures to the doorway. "Shall I let him know you are here?"