18. Between the Lines

"Isn't she the most beautiful creature you have ever seen?"

"Look at those adorable little dimples...let me see that smile little Princess!"

"Oh my lady, just look at that smile, it could light up a room!"

I chuckle gleefully at my troop of hand maidens as they coo and gush over my clearly delighted daughter. Celairiel is sat in the middle of the garden on a heavy rug with pillows. She is now able to sit and even attempt some crawling expeditions; with quite a lot of elegance and grace, I hasten to add- particularly for her tender age of just three months. She sits comfortably and claps the ground excitedly with her pudgy little hands, giggling and gurgling in response to her many admirers, who are more than willing to give into her demands for entertainment. Oliel is of course chief of her favoured faces, and my dearest friend is now currently playing an elaborate game of peek-a-boo with the little rascal. Every single one of her delighted peals of laughter sends the ladies into fits of adoring giggles and cooing.

"You all spoil her," I chastise weightlessly, because none of them could care less what I have to say. The little elfling is far more fascinating.

"Ah, but a little one that wonderful should be spoiled," Gilron chuckles from behind me as she runs a brush through my long hair. "It is good to hear her laugh, no?"

"The best sound in the world," I confirm with a nod. It is hard to believe that for the first few weeks of her life she was weak and listless, barely being able to muster enough energy to feed at times. But those days seem long ago and far away- especially now that I see her before me, doused in light and the picture of health.

"How is Legolas coping with it all?" Gilron quietly asks and moves to kneel beside me.

"Good," I reply too quickly, and this gains a raised eyebrow from Gilron. "Well... as good as can be expected. He sometimes throws a little tantrum just to try and get more of attention off his Ada. Sometimes in the most inopportune moments, like when Celairiel is wailing and I can't get her settled."

"Torphen did the same when Oliel was born. It will just take time," she tells me with a maternal smile and clutches my hand in hers. "But what of the other matter? Has Thranduil spoken with the child yet?"

"No," I sigh and bite my lip, "But hopefully he will soon, I've encouraged him to, the child deserves answers."

"It may help for him to put to rest those niggling questions," Gilron nods in agreement. "But that issue is between Thranduil and his son. Trust the Prince to make his own call on that sensitive topic."

"I do," I reply and smile out towards the horizon. "Legolas is with his Ada today, maybe they will have a good heart to heart."

"I am sure they will," she says with a bright smile, but our conversation comes to an abrupt halt when Ollie skips up to me and outstretches her hands.

"Come my lady, I need a private word?" she tells me in a sing song voice, and gives me a cheeky wink.

"A word on wedding details would that be?" I query as I let her haul me to my feet.

"Of course," she sniggers and links her arm with mine.

"Yes- well, hold on," I chuckle as I go and retrieve my daughter from the mat, ignoring her disgruntled whine at being removed from her entertainers. "We have a third companion nowadays."

"Indeed," Ollie smiles fondly and pinches Celairiel's nose, making her squeal happily. "At least I can count on one of us to show the right level of excitement." She smirks and I roll my eyes as I follow her along the well-trodden path through my colourful gardens.