His friendship (6)

*Aspen's Pov*

My eyes scan the haste written words that he scribbled under a rudimentary penmanship.

"Don't let them find me." It said as a wave of worry washed over me when I looked at the desperate, yet silent plea hidden in his violet orbs. People did this to him.

"Who?" I ask in concern, watching as the little color that managed to return in his face pale once more at the question. "Hey no one's going to hurt you. Not in this house, and not on my watch. You don't need to be afraid little man." I say, reaching over to wipe the little tears that escaped his eyelids, but he flinched from the action as if my touch would burn him by doing so. "I won't hurt you." I assured, stretching my arm once more to get rid of the tears that escaped as the rolled down his delicate features.

His eyes widened in frozen shock, browsing my face as if waiting for me to strike him down. If anything, my attempt to comfort only bought more tears to escape, as if this hurt more than what he expected me to do.

What did they do to him? I wondered. Who could hurt such an exquisite little creature and take his ability to trust so easily? What demons are so strong to haunt him even when he sleeps?

"Who are they?" I asked once more, only to get a simple shake of his head left to right in a frantic manner. I sigh at the answer, but place an assuring smile instead of pressurizing a proper answer. "I guess I'll just have to wait until you're ready then. Sound good?"

He looks down in his lap, not signaling an answer, meaning he's not making any promises for a later on.

He doesn't trust me, I concluded, thinking of a way of how I can communicate with him with a different topic.

"Well, I'll just tell you a little more about me then." I smiled, since he didn't want to tell me about him, maybe I can gain some trust by telling him about myself instead. He looks up, tears now dry after a while as he gives a funny, yet scrunched look as if trying to figure me out. "I already told you, but just to let you know, my full name is Aspen Rose. I'm sixteen and counting even though I don't look it really. I'm a Cheetah shifter as well, but I guess that's a little obvious due to my scent. I love to run, and I adore animals. It's nice to meet you little man."

He scoffs in disbelief, making me raise a curious brow as he takes the paper and pencil he was using before scribbling a quick message. He brings the paper up for me to see it by practically shoving it towards my face.

"What do you want?" I read aloud, as I watched his expression take on a hostile force. Okay, well that didn't go as planned.

"I don't want anything." I say, not sure what he meant by that. I never wanted anything in return from doing something good. I like being helpful to others. Him more than anything, I've ever wanted because he needed it.

His glare intensifies, not liking my answer at all as he points to the question once more, signaling he's asking again more forcefully even without speaking.

"I don't want anything from you." I say again. This time between laughs, simply because I can't help but think how cute his glaring was. This little guy didn't look like he could hurt a fly if he tried. He looked like the type to set it free instead of swatting it. "You know what? I would like something for us."

A look of distress immediately takes over his features as he backs away quickly until his back was against the headboard. Worried that he takes it all the wrong way, I take both his hands gently and said.

"Whoa little dude. What I meant to say is that I would like for you to be my friend."

The struggle stopped abruptly. A wide look occurs in his violet orbs as tears streaked once more across his face. He tries to pry me away, making me frown at the response I was getting. Respecting his wishes I pull away.