Noah List #2: Date not hate

As it turns out, my cheerleader best friend is somewhat wrong with her matchmaking game. Jason Montgomery is certainly my type. But, I just can't like him! The whole time he is being charming and acting like a total gentleman. It's just that my fucked up heart can't like this guy as more than friends. So when the impossible happened, (by impossible I mean the awkward question) he got serious and looks at me straight in the eyes.

"I don't know what to say. We've had three flavors of ice cream each and I haven't had the opportunity to say that I like you." He plays with his spoon then sends me a charming smile any girl would fall for.

Jason is really charming. Too bad I don't know how to return his feelings back. With that, I awkwardly laughed and stare at him. "I'm sorry Jason. I don't like you the same way. Oh, don't get me wrong, you are awesome. If only I met you first I would have liked you."

Jason let out a sad sigh and smiles. "Well, I guess you're really into Noah."

I blush and look down at the bubblegum colored tiles. "Is it that obvious?"

Jason laughs and scoops from his ice cream. "Yup, the whole school knows."

I grunt and slump on my seat. "Of course the whole school knows how desperate I am."

"You aren't. Noah's just... oblivious. Anyway, I hope you had a great time."

I smile at him. "I did. Thanks for the ice cream."

He stands from his seat and helps me too. "No problem. It's getting late and they might look for you at home."

"Yeah, I bet my brothers are still sitting on their bean bags at the game room and are still busy with their game." I said, laughing at the sweet memory of Larkin and Frank.

"So, shall I take the ever so gracious Miss Ellie Graham home?" Jason mocks, faking a British accent.

"Why I'd be delighted to, kind sir." I said, riding with his experimental formality.

We both laugh and pay our bill.

~~~*~~~

"So, how was Jason last night?" Jane asks the following morning as we fix our lockers.

"Why are you asking as if I slept with him?" I ask.

Jane raises her right eyebrow. "You're weird, Elle."

I laughed. "Forget about it. Anyway, Jason was fine last night."

As if on cue, Noah came.

"Who was fine last night?" He asks, looking at both of us.

Jane smirks at me and winks. "Well, I was just asking Ellie here last night if her date was fine."

I had to mentally face palm myself with how Jane is doing a good job at making my feelings for her brother less. Seriously? The more she blabs about my dates, the more I feel as if I am cheating on Noah.

Noah impressively turns to me. "Really? You went out on a date last night? With whom?"

Suddenly, I felt as if he is doubting my skills when it comes to romance.

I stand up straighter with my chin held high. "Yes, I was on a date with Jason last night. Oh my gosh, you won't believe how extremely charming he is! God, his smile is to die for!"

Noah smirks, completely unfazed by my sudden enthusiasm and at the same time it seems as if he really is challenging me to spill more of my date. "You had a date with Jason? As in Jason Montgomery my teammate?"

I huff, "Yes! The Jason Montgomery. What's with the sudden wonder? Can't you just accept that I was on a date with him? Oh Noah, dear Noah, You aren't the only one given the chance to have a hot date every fucking glorious day."

Noah raises his hands in defense. He steps back and gives me a weirded out look. "All I'm doing is confirming whether we are talking about the same Jason. What's wrong with you and your exaggeration?"

I am suddenly embarrassed by my action. Hell, what am I even thinking? Gosh, the more Noah crosses the line, the more I spill out everything. Keeping my feelings to myself and suddenly deciding to eliminate them sure is a hard task.

"Uh... nothing?" I have to get out of this situation. "Oh look! It's almost time, Mrs. Tomkins hates it when we're late. Gotta jet!" I slam my locker shut and hurriedly ran towards my first class. 

When I am at least three feet away from them, I hear Noah mutter something along the lines of, "A Jimmy Neutron line?"

In English, Jason plumps down on the chair next to mine. He usually sits at the back row and sitting beside me all of a sudden makes me think that last night's date was his gateway to me. Then again, the boy knows what I feel for him so his intentions are purely friendly.

"How did your family react last night?" He asks, smiling at me.

Jason and his bright smile...

"As I told you, it doesn't really matter to them whether or not I am home on time." I say, fixing my notebook. "They won't even notice. Dad is in Hollywood, Mom locks herself inside the library with her laptop, thick - rimmed glasses, and a stack of bond papers. Meanwhile, my brothers are playing games inside the game room until they get tired."

He projects an amazed look. "Really? I guess your parents won't mind another late night trip."

"Nope, they won't." I reply, focusing on his pearly teeth. I snap my head at him when I realized what he had just said. Moreover, what had I replied. "Wait a minute, are you asking me on another date?"

He shrugs. "More like a friendly bonding?"

"Uh... Alright?" I say in an unsure kind of way.

~*~

Dear Ellie,

           I read our summer camp itinerary and figured that mud swimming isn't part of the events we will be doing. What a shame, I bet it will really be fun if we did so. Anyways, as you said, there will be bonfires every Friday night. Wow, can't wait!

P.S. I don't know why I'm writing to you in a piece of paper from the camp. I guess Jane told me that you really need someone to talk to.

Xx Noah

As I read the torn paper from the calendar inside the camp all over again, I can't help but put out a little smile. First night at the camp and I almost lost my wits. I remembered calling Jane earlier that evening to tell her how sucky my room mate is. Her name is Li Han. She's a short Asian girl who never ceased talking. She always complains about how she wished, she was at Camp Easton - Farley instead of Camp Brooklyn. It's that popular camp across the lake with really hot guys but filled with delinquents. But after her mom found out about the delinquent case of the said camp, she sent her to Camp Brooklyn. Where according to her, boring is the camp's motto.

It was a hot and humid summer night. I was staying inside our cabin and focusing on Jane Austen's book Sense and Sensibility. I was never a fan of classics, but that night, I couldn't read anything but that book from the shelf.

A knock came to the door, ruining the quiet atmosphere. Li Han was at another cabin probably partying. I closed the book and opened the wooden door. In the door step I found a piece of paper neatly folded. As if it was a precious paper made from the finest tree but in reality, it was just a torn calendar page.

I read it carefully making sure I'm not missing any line. Slowly and cautiously in the sense that I'm afraid I might be mistaken with whom I thought  wrote the letter. But at the bottom part, in huge messy writing, it says Noah. There's no other Noah in the camp.