Chapter 4: Crossing The Line

( A/N: Author of the fanart is Beautysnake on deviantart! )

1D

Lapis and Peridot giggled. They sat on the school bus, heading out for another field trip. It was late October, the leaves already falling off the trees in a storm of autumn colours. Frost littered the ground and people were already putting up their Halloween decorations.

So, where were they going? The pool. One of Peridot's worst nightmares. Which was why they were giggling uncontrollably. Lapis, who seemed painfully aware of Peridot's fears, was trying to cheer her up. Earlier in the week, upon finding out that they were going swimming, Peridot had freaked out a bit. Since today was the day they were actually going, she'd begun to panic. But Lapis seemed to be taking care of the problem.

Their conversation switched after the joke had grown old. "What is with all the field trips? Does the school do this every year?" Peridot asked. This was their third one. The second one was a trip to a museum, mainly consisting of exhibits on famous shipwrecks.

"I don't know," Lapis said, "it started in late September. Ever since you showed up." She then spun around to face the green gem, her eyes narrowed. "YOU." Lapis lightly smacked her hands on either side of an alarmed Peridot's face.

There was a bit of an awkward pause as Lapis held Peridot's face in her hands. Then the two burst out laughing. The blue gem didn't let go, however. Her hands were cold and she was obviously warming them on Peridot's face.

Finally, they broke apart. Peridot glanced out the window and shivered. "Do you think I'll be alright? I mean, in case you haven't picked it up already, I'm not exactly the best swimmer," she wondered aloud.

Lapis lightly punched her on the arm and she flinched. "Of course! Half the people in this class can't swim!"

Peridot knitted her brow into a frown. "Well, that's not what I was-"

"It's okay, Peri. I don't think you even need to be able to swim." Lapis shrugged. Peridot sighed.

The green gem suddenly felt another hand on her bandaged one. It was cool and soft, although muffled. "I'm sure you'll have fun. If you want, I'll tell you what to do. You can trust me," Lapis said, now holding her hand.

Peridot looked up. "Pfft, I'm sure I can trust you," she muttered sarcastically. She was only half joking.

Lapis chuckled awkwardly, wearing a concerned face. Her eyes reflected the light coming in from the window. Something about that face was almost extremely irresistible. Peridot sighed. Sometimes, being friends with Lapis Lazuli was extremely difficult.

Before they could continue on with their awkward little situation, the bus stopped. They'd arrived at the swimming pool and everyone was getting off the bus. The two of them stood, joining the mass of people getting off the bus. As they made their way into the building, they caught a huge whiff of chlorine. Peridot shivered, but she wasn't cold.

Lapis practically pulled her along as they headed towards the change rooms. Her eyes were bright and she wore a smile. "Come on, it's gonna be so much fun!" She exclaimed.

Peridot, however, couldn't agree. As Lapis dragged her down the hall, she tried skidding to a halt. Her boots, however, betrayed her, and she suddenly wished she'd bought a pair with a better grip on the bottom.

They stepped into the change rooms and Peridot felt her stomach twist. It was as though there was some kind of invisible hand clutching at her insides. Every passing second was slightly panic-filled. Every passing second was just a countdown to catastrophe.