Chapter Nine- Date Night

Layla sat on her windowsill looking down at the spot she had her last encounter with the enchanting Ryder. He was to arrive any minute, her stomach was coiled tightly with nerves, her black polished fingernails lightly tapped on her thigh. What would tonight hold for her? What did he have planned? Would she get to know more about him? Would she make a fool of herself and come on too strongly? Be too pushy with wanting to know more about him?

Chewing on her lip in thought, she tried to come up with a few pre-planned questions for later in the evening. She didn't want to be unprepared just in case the night went smoothly and she got the chance to ask a few questions about who he is, where he's from. Surely, if she inquired about him, he would be interested enough in her to want to know more about her life?

Five minutes later Ryder pulled up in his truck just as she expected him to, he held something in between his fingers as he climbed out of the truck but she couldn't make out what it was. Layla made her way down to him, dressed in a sweet and innocent black lace-styled dress that came to just above her knees, enough to be classified as classy, yet sexy. Her hair was spiraled elegantly, her heels clicked as her feet carried her down flights of stairs to stand in front of him.

Upon second glance, Layla gasped softly, her palm moving to press against her chest as her gaze took in the soft petal flower. This specific breed of flower she had never seen before but it was absolutely breathtaking. It was a lovely white pearl color and held five soft petals that stretched out about the size of a middle finger. One petal that resembled a pouch had two petals each going the opposite direction to make a partial heart shape.

How thoughtful of him to get her a flower; but she had nothing to give to him. Layla felt the need to get him something in return to show her gratitude for everything he has done for her. The more she thought about it, the more she came to the realization that... they were not actually a couple yet. It was not official. She didn't want to seem too pushy on being a couple.

Would the purchase of a gift be too pushy?

She knew so little about him.

He was a photographer, that much she knew. But what else had she learned about him? He was a gentleman, he was sort of old fashioned in her eyes, not the way he dressed but the way he carried himself and escorted her home, the way he spoke. She realized she was falling too fast for Ryder without ever really knowing anything about him. Sure, she knew his favorite color and the types of music he enjoyed and his love for the fall season, but that isn't what she was searching for.

What was his childhood like? Were his parents still alive? Were they still married? Did he have a dog as a child? Who was his idol? What movies did he enjoy? What were his favorite foods?

These questions clung to her mind like fog clings to tree tops. She would have to casually ask him while they were at dinner tonight; if she didn't chicken out first. She hoped he wouldn't get upset with her and she hoped he wouldn't end what little relationship was blooming between them.

She watched as he gracefully walked closer to her, her cheeks were flushing just at the mere sight of him. She could not help but to look him up and down, sizing up how his faded wranglers clung to all the right places. His plain black t-shirt wrapped around his biceps midway and partially clung to his washboard abs. To top off his ensemble, he wore a pair of black skater-like shoes.

He oozed sexuality.

He had to be the sexiest man alive, screw Johnny Depp, Ryder was clearly the winner here. She couldn't tear her eyes away from his toned body. Slowly, she felt her cheeks flushing, even more, the pit in her abdomen warming. Her eyes continued to roam his body the closer he got to her, a certain electric static charging the air as he approached. It was like little tiny shocks and tingles skittered across her skin.