Chapter 14

My window is open, and I can feel the brisk, salty breeze on my cheeks. As I open my eyes, I turn to face my balcony door and the white curtains are flowing freely in the wind. I close my eyes again and the sound of the waves crashing meets my ears. It's marvelous, I've never been so fortunate to be back home.

As I get up, I stretch, and I walk outside to the balcony. Such a dull day. My gaze falls onto the beachfront and it's empty and my eyes wander onto the water and there they are, little dolphins. I lean my arms on the railing and I just breathe in the fresh air; so, I suppose after you've been in an accident you learn to appreciate the little things. It absolutely and totally changed my life (in a good way, though). I'm ready for a fresh start. I need to take a shower. I head to the bathroom; I pause, and I look at myself in the mirror, this plaster is way too frustrating. I'm just going to take it off. As for the stomach one, I'm not ready for that yet. I know the stitches are still there, but they'll be out soon. I briefly stare at myself in the mirror.

"You'll be fine, Olivia," I declare onto myself and I give myself a convincing nod and I shower. So much has happened over the past 5 weeks. It's crazy how a person's life can change so quickly, but I am blessed by this life. Princeton and next year are also still so exciting, and I haven't really even thought about it as much yet. I get out and I dry myself off, wrap my towel around my body. It's best to go for loose shorts and a t-shirt, and after I get dressed, I brush out my long, tangled, wet hair. It's enduring to see my entire face open and not covered by a plaster. As I walk downstairs, I can hear laughter, I peep around the corner and Aiden is standing talking to my mom while she's busy drinking coffee. I nod at both of them and I smile as I head towards the coffee machine.

"Morning dear, how did you sleep?" Mom asks with a modest grin on her face.

"Surprisingly great thanks." I look at her and then at Aiden, who's smirking at me.

"That's wonderful. I notice that you took the plaster off of your forehead. Just be careful not to get an infection or something, dear." She glances at me as she places her mug in the sink. She squeezes my shoulder and grabs her handbag.

"Aiden's planning on cooking." I stare at her, quite bemused, and then at him. He peers down and his face reddens, he's in his grey sweats and still without a shirt.

"What does she mean by that?" I study his face and he spins around and opens the fridge to grab a few ingredients.

"Well, I, my dear, have decided to make waffles for breakfast." He glances up at me as he places all the ingredients on the counter, and I raise my one eyebrow. I'm quite stunned.

"You're going to make waffles?" I stare at him in disbelief, I wasn't aware of the fact that he can cook. He glares at me and smiles.

"Of course, and guess what?" He rests his arms on the counter.

"I don't know, but you're probably going to tell me." I rest my arms on the opposite side of the counter and he squints his eyes as he proudly says,

"You're going to help me." I chuckle. During the laughter, I manage to get a brief sentence out,

"You're joking." We stare at each other and the laughter subsides. I scrunch my nose up and he rolls his eyes.

"I have a suggestion, why don't you make them, and I'll keep you company?"

"That's an excellent suggestion." he shrugs and searches for a mixing bowl with a grin on his face. I roll my eyes at him and I plunk myself on the counter next to where he's busy mixing everything. There's quietness surrounding us every time he stares down at the recipe book. It's as if he's concentrating intensely when he cautiously mixes the various ingredients together, and I can't help but stare at him. We haven't said one word since he's started with the waffle. His face looks so sexy when he's focusing, his lips are straight, his jaw clenched, and his eyes narrow every time he reads.