She had a big score to settle

More than anything else, Ginny had a right to face Voldemort. Yes, everyone's lives had been damaged by Voldemort in some way. But no one else had been violated in the way Ginny had been, or had suffered through that trauma. Tom Riddle tried to take everything Ginny was, and almost killed her in the process.

Ginny would be fighting for the boy she loved, and for the brother she lost. But more than that, she would fight for herself. For the 11-year-old girl who was exploited by a boy whom she trusted with her deepest fears and secrets. For the teenager who somehow managed to piece herself back together after such a trauma. For the young woman who did not let herself be defined by this assault, but who also never ever forgot it. For the woman who made herself a fighter, so that no one would ever take advantage of her again.

Yes, Ginny Weasley certainly had the right to battle Voldemort. After Harry, she might be the only other person alive with the right to call him Tom Riddle.

If Harry had died in Deathly Hallows, then this would no longer be the story of the Boy Who Lived. But it would be the triumph of the Girl Who Survived. And we are so on board with that.

Would you have liked to see Ginny Weasley defeat Voldemort?