Chapter 17

The next day German dedicated himself fully to some work he had to be done with so he didn't even leave his house, but surprisingly he had visitors.

- Angeles and Albert de Morcerf are here - said Bertuccio as he went to German's office on the first floor.

- Huh? Why?

- I didn't ask them.

- Yeah, right. Uh... Took them to the salon downstairs. I'll be there in a minute.

Bertuccio just nodded and left.

- "I didn't ask them" - German groaned - No need to be so angry.... But I should go...

He was pretty confused over why were they even there, but he got himself together and when he felt ready he went to the salon to greet them properly.

- Ah! Albert and Mrs. Morcerf... - he said, now giving the same warm smile he always does around people - What made you visit me today?

- I want to invite you to a party which will be in our house this weekend - said Albert - My father would love to see you there and so would I and mother...

When he said "mother" German immediately looked over to Angie who just smiled a bit, letting him know that this is what she wants as well.

- Well... I think I can go... - German muttered - It'd be good for me as I still don't know too many people around here.

- Yeah! I'll gladly introduce you to some new people, if you want! - said Albert exciedly.

- Sounds lovely.

Although German wasn't too happy about this he wanted to go.

He wanted to go because just by looking into his beloved woman's eyes he saw how happy she became when he said he's going to go.

He felt happy to see her happiness, but yet he was a bit afraid of this party as well.

----- TIME SKIP -----

Later Albert had to leave with his friend, but Angie decided to stay with the count for a little while, just to talk.

- Have you been in Marseille before? - she asked him.

- Yes. In fact... I was born in Marseille - he replied firmly and calmly, not letting her know what else he has in mind.

- I see. And did you like to live there?

- It was really nice and peaceful when I was living there... And so happy too.

- Yeah... True - Angie muttered while German was still staring at her, not knowing what to do, but keep cool.

He felt like he just wants to tell her who he really is, but it wasn't the time just yet.

But he was also really mad.

But he couldn't say anything.

He had to wait with it...

- I have the most wonderful girlfriend anyone could wish for - German continued.

- And what happened to her? - she asked, sounding pretty curious.

- She betrayed me - he replied - Betrayed me when I needed her support the most and married to someone else.

- Oh... That's really sad...

- It is... But I'm over it. Now I have the best support I could ever wish for.

- That's good then! - said Angie, but yet she didn't really mean it.

In fact she felt jealous of the person Monte Cristo was talking about.

She also wanted to know who is his support, but she didn't dare to ask about it as she didn't want to seem too curious.

- So the party is on the weekend? - the count continued.

- Yes! On Saturday evening at 7.

- Alright. I'll be there.

This made Angie really happy as she got to see him again on Saturday.

She was by now way more excited to see someone she doesn't know much about than seeing her own husband.