Chapter 7

Chapter 7

As we walked along the road, Simon and Derek walked a couple feet behind me and Tori, whispering to themselves.

Tori sided up beside me. "Guess it's still their little duo," she muttered to me, rolling her eyes.
"Their allowed to talk," I shot back at her, unwilling to put up with her conspiracy like theories and thoughts. "Oh, and I can almost guarantee Derek is listening in right now."
She rolled her eyes and nodded, "oh, I know."

She picked up her pace and gestured for me to follow her. "We need to have a plan," she said, so quietly I had to strain my ears to listen.
"A plan for what?" I ask her, just as lowly.
"I realize that Derek seems to be head over heels for you, but he may be planning on running for it with Simon."
I look at her incredulously. "Tori..." I started slowly, my eyebrow furrowing, "you can't still honestly think they're going to leave? I thought you actually trusted them a bit now."
"No, it's not that...well yes it is. I just..." She bit her lip, "we just really have to go. Now."
"If we're going anywhere it's with the boys," I told her firmly, anger lacing my tone.
"I cannot even believe that after all this time that you want to leave them." I added.
"They can fend for themselves," she said back, just as harshly.
"What is with you Tori?" I ask her, my anger evaporating into confusion.
"Nothing, I just..." She was cut off by the sounds of cars approaching. A lot of cars.
Before I could turn back, someone grabbed me roughly and covered my mouth.

"It's me," Derek hissed at me when I struggled.
I went limp and allowed him to drag me into the forest lining the road.

I could see Simon's outline as I was pulled backwards, even with the darkening sky. But Tori wasn't in sight.
"Tori," I said to Derek, panicked, not even caring about how rude and idiotic she just was.
Derek huffed loudly. "She's fine," he said irritably.
"Derek!" I hit his arm and he looked at me, rolling his eyes and rubbing his arm as if it hurt, which I knew for a fact it didn't.
"Chloeee," he whined at me, pulling us towards where Simon crouched behind a small clump of trees.
"Derek you can't leave her," I told him.
He huffed again, "I know."
As soon as he was sure Simon and I were out of sight, he started towards the road but stopped when a someone came bolting towards us, Tori herself.

"Go!" She hissed at us, not stopping. "Follow me!"

Simon and Derek shared a glance, but before anyone could say anything, we heard shouts from the direction of the roads. "It's the cabal," Tori confirmed, spinning around.
Derek shrugged slowly and uneasily, "lets' follow her, I'll smell anyone before they see us anyways."

We nod and take off at a sprint, following Tori as she wound around trees and bushes.
I huffed desperately for air, cursing myself for being so out of shape. Suddenly, Tori stopped.
"Wait..." Derek sniffed the air and his eyes widen with panic.
"No, no, no, GO!" he pushed us towards the direction we came. Tori twisted back out of his grip.
"It's fine." She told us confidently. "They're nowhere near us."
Derek grabbed me and Simon and tried to run again.

A bullet whizzed through the air and planting itself directly into the back of his head.
Derek's eyes glossed over and he fell forward with a loud thump.
Me and Simon looked at each other, knowing that there was no way we were leaving Derek.

I nudged Derek with my foot, terrified that it may have been a real bullet.

I dropped to the ground, stomach lurching when Derek didn't move again.
'He's dead.' A voice whispered in my head, giving me a chill and making every bone in my body go numb. 'He's dead and it's your fault. YOU trusted Tori enough to lead you and now he's dead.' I curled up into a ball as something inside of me broke and hysteria took over.
Simon sobbed quietly beside me.

"Well, finally put the dog down." A voice said in the echoing silence.
I looked up and saw a man, flanked by a couple dozen people in white suits and Tori.

"Whoa whoa wait, you said it was only a stun gun," Tori looked up at him, biting her lip harshly.
"It was," the man smiled. "But it was very amusing watching your friends' reactions."

His words sunk in and I look at Derek.

"He's not dead?" A voice broke into the lapse of silence, wobbly and full of wistfulness and hope.
Simon, crying for what he thought was the loss of his brother.
"Not yet," the man nodded at us, "but he'll have wished he was."

Two men came and handcuffed me and Simon, receiving little fight from Simon, and none from me as my bones were still cold and limp from shock and terror.
They started to escort us to the waiting jeep behind all the men and the remainder either stayed with the man who seemed to be in charge, or went to lift up Derek into a second Jeep.

"Backstabbing bitch," Simon hissed at Tori as we passed her, pure anger lacing his voice.
It then hit me that he was right, Tori had betrayed us.
I bit my lip and looked down, this was my fault, and my fault alone. I voted for her to stay with us. Every single time.

They loaded me and Simon into the back of the car and closed it with a jarring slam.

I turned away from Simon, heart full of guilt and wept again for Derek's misfortune, for Tori and for what was unavoidably to come. Because yes, we got out last time, but this time no one was plotting to help get us out. Everyone was different and we lost one of our only remaining allies.
We were totally and unthinkably alone.

Hey guys! So yesss I made Tori betray them #sorrynotsorry.
BUT if it makes you feel better, the original plan was for Simon to...I just needed something unexpected! Oh, and don't lose hope for Tori yet, she DID try and help Chloe:) ;)

So, good newsss...THIS STORY HAS OVER 300 VIEWS AND IM SO HAPPY! When I started this it was literally just because I couldn't bear the thought of this story being over, and I wanted to give the characters one last adventure (or a few more.)

I have one small announcement, and that is that I am starting a (new) school next week so the updates mayyy be slightly slower but I will try my hardest to make sure they aren't:)

Anyways, ILY ALL and remember to vote + comment!