2

There was someone screaming in the med bay. In the middle of the night. Right after I layed down from a 12 hour shift as a patrol.

I tried a variety of different methods to drown out the noise. Putting my makeshift pill over my head. Stuffing cloth in my ears. Even banging my head repeatedly in the hopes that I would knock myself unconscious.

That's when Monty burst into my tent out of breath and looking as if he had just seen the grim reaper behind him.

The person that was screaming seemed to pause, and then start again with quieter whimpers and sobs.

Monty glanced behind him, still gasping, before saying, "You can't tell anyone."

"Tell anyone what?"

"Just go to the med bay. Go." He looked haunted.

I watched as he left, feeling a trace of exasperation. I just really needed some peace and quiet. The person let out one last scream before going silent. I rolled my eyes and got up.

The courtyard was virtually empty, save for a few fires here and there. The people who were out were talking in hushed tones. Nobody gave me a second glance when I walked by.

As I approached the med bay, the guard opened the door and gave me a nod.

"Better brace yourself. This girl is something else." He says.

This kind of reminded me of the time Jasper was screaming and I had tried to kill him just to get more sleep. Right now it didn't seem like a bad idea.

That is, until I walked into the operation room.

"Bellamy! Thank God you're here! Hold down her shoulders would you?" Abby yelled at me.

I was frozen for a moment, looking at the scene in front of me. A girl was flailing around on the table, a piece of duck tape over her mouth and her legs bound down.

She had tears running down her face and she hadn't even noticed that he was there.

There was blood all over her left leg and a huge gash on her arm. She looked malnourished, but not as dirty as he would have expected.

She had never been a very good hunter.

"Bellamy! NOW!" Abby practically screamed.

Abby was frantically searching for something in the many boxes and cabinets in the room.

Bellamy sprang into action, grabbing the girl's shoulders and pushing them down to the table. She struggled harder when I touched her and I could hear her muffled screams.

I moved to the end of the table and looked over her while keeping her shoulders down.

Oh God this hurt. Why did this hurt so much? She was back, alive....but it felt like a bullet to his heart.

He stared down at her, not saying a word. Abby seemed to still be struggling but she didnt say a word to him yet. Eventually she stopped struggling and opened her eyes.

They were so blue, even with the tears swimming in her eyes they looked clear.

Behind me I heard Abby give a cry of triumph and then rush to the girl's side. I'm assuming she was cleaning and patching up her leg.

"Clarke. .." my voice cracked and my breath was shaky.

She blinked, her eyes widening. Then she fully relaxed in my grip and traded her muffled screaming for crying.

"Abby, I'm taking this tape off her mouth." I said.

Abby gave a nod of her head, concentrating on the most immediate wounds.

I ripped it off without any warning. She whimpered. I moved my hands from her shoulders to her head, cradling it while moving her hair out of her face.

"B-Bellamy-y." She hiccuped.

That was my breaking point. I could feel my heart splinter and crack and break. I was torn to shreds by her simply saying my name.

I looked away, nodded, and then left the room.

She didn't call after me.