00:10

[dedicated to all my supporters, who are all such beautiful lovelies]

.*.*.

Arlando's head was rested on the pillow in the bed he shared with Kathleen, her body moving up and down a little as she breathed and slept peacefully. Her hands were clasped together, the simple ring shining brilliantly in the dark room. He threaded his fingers through hers, fingering the ring that lay on her index finger, his heart thumping slowly at how perfect life felt. He lifted her fingers to his lips, kissing each one slowly before laying them down.

Unable to sleep he picked himself up from the bed, lifted the book Stars from the bedside table and walked through the corridor of the house they now shared. He unlocked the door and perched himself on the porch, staring up at the stars. A smile crept up to his face, making his lips tip up into a smile as his eyes closed and he soaked in the peacefulness that shrouded him.

Settling on the porch properly, making himself comfortable, he opened the book and turned to the epilogue he had begged his wife, Kathleen, to write for him. After denying Arlando for days she finally agreed and then she told him something that lit something within him on fire. She told him she wanted to submit the script of Stars to a publishing company as she was now ready to take that step she was afraid to take.

His eyes scanned the words. Rereading it for the millionth time didn't make him feel any less. It only made him feel more. The epilogue was his favourite part of the book. It seemed to Arlando that this particular piece of writing made him feel peaceful, blissful and content. It struck out to him the most. So before heading back to bed, he flipped the pages back and began to reread the epilogue for the third time that night.

.*.*.

EPILOGUE

I was right to have that small light of hope the day you left me because seven years later, you re-entered into my life. When I first saw you, again, at my brother's hardware store I couldn't believe my eyes. It all seemed so unreal seeing you stand there right before me clad in dark washed out jeans that hung low at your hips and a plain shirt that fitted you snugly, outlining the contours of your body as I raked my eyes over you.

You said that you wanted a second chance, that you still loved me and after seven years of missing you, and living not so brightly as I was when with you around, I was ready to take you up on that offer. I must admit I was a little hesitant at first. What if you left me again? But I watched your dark hazel eyes. I heard your loud, thumping heartbeat right beside my chest. I saw the specks of gold dance brilliantly in your eyes. You looked nervous just as you had at the ball, when we first met, except this time you were more nervous. You looked ready for the commitment and seeing you there, alive and before my eyes - be it seven years after our little romantic ride - that gave me faith. As a strong believer of hope I didn't want to doubt your intentions so I let you into my life again.

My brother, Max, wasn't alright with it first but then over the next two years you and I grew closer, we did nothing without the other. We were truly partners for life. He couldn't deny liking you because you made me happy and he liked anything that made me happy so no matter how much he seemed to hate you, he couldn't. He adored you. Anything that made his little sister happy made him happy. He just had the constant fear that you'd leave me.

But I know you'd never leave because you'd found me; home. And it wasn't until two years after your reunion, when we lay down on a blanket watching the sky, the summer breeze blowing through and pushing us together was when I was most positive that you'd found home. You said so yourself.