is this coincidence or a sign

--

William had probably a little to much to drink that night, alone in his room. His small group of friends had gone out without him. Again.

He didn't make a big deal out of it though, it happened pretty often. Sometimes his band would go out after practice and forget to invite him. The lead singer. He was just kind of forgettable.

He downed a bottle of beer before haphazardly pulling on his old sweatshirt and throwing the front door open. The crisp autumn breeze hit his face as he stepped out into the night. He tugged his sweatshirt tighter around his skinny frame and shivered. He probably should have worn a heavier jacket, it was the middle of October after all. He pulled his hood up over his head and kept walking.

He walked toward the first place that came to mind. That place was a field a little bit beyond some woods. It was kind of like Bill's secret place. He'd discovered it was he was 10 years old and kept going back. He always went when he felt horrible or it felt like the world was crashing down around him. And tonight was one of those nights.

The patter of William's shoe soles on the pavement soon changed to the crunching of leaves as he entered the woods. Moonlight filtered through the trees and he felt almost at peace.

Soon the trees started to thin and the woods faded into an open valley. William pulled his hood down and almost smiled. He walked through the long grass to the top of a hill and laid down. He closed his eyes and let his emotions show. He took a deep breath and a tear rolled down his cheek. He stayed there with his eyes closed for a long time, crying slightly.

After awhile he heard the grass rustle and the sound of footsteps. He opened his eyes slowly and became still, hoping whatever it was would just go away. The footsteps grew closer and William stopped breathing. He hadn't looked to see what it was. The shadow of the thing loomed over. The footsteps stopped abruptly right beside him. William squeezed his eyes shut, trying not panic.

"Hey, are you alright?" a husky voice asked. Bill can rule out coyote or some sort of monster from the list of things that this disturbance could be.

Bill turned his head and locked eyes with an incredibly tall boy. He had tan skin and amazing bone structure.

"Yeah, sort of," Bill said quickly, sitting up and drying his eyes.

The boy sat down beside him. "Well, I'm not an expert in sadness but you've definitely been crying and crying usually means that you're not alright."

William rolled his eyes, when will he leave me alone? he thought.

"Y'know, you can tell me whats up, I'm pretty good at giving advice." The boy spoke leaning his elbows onto the grass.

"Why would I tell you? You don't even know me," William spoke sharply, pushing his hair behind his ear.

"That's exactly the point. I don't know you, so I won't tell anyone."

William considered this for a moment, "True," he said agreeing.

"So, tell me stranger," the mystery boy beside Bill said, angling his face toward the sky, "what's your current situation?"

"I'm currently employed as the most forgettable person in the universe. All my friends go out without me, all I ever do now is get drunk alone and sit in my room. Like, for fucks sake, my own band goes out after practice and doesn't invite me! Me, the lead singer, is forgotten by the band." Bill threw his head into his hands.

The boy sitting next to him turned to face him, "Wait, you're in a band?" He asked, slightly surprised.

"Yeah, we fucking suck right now though," Bill's voice was muffled by his hands.

"Every band fucking sucks when they first start out,"

"I know but were an actual train wreck. Like, we can't even think of a name."

"Do you have any ideas?"

"The only one I like so far is "The Academy Is..." but no one else likes it," William groaned.

"That actually a fucking dope name. I'm band called Midtown you know," The boy boasted slightly.

"Wait, really? You're in midtown?" William sounded genuinely surprised. Sisky had played him some of their music for him before and he actually kind of like it.

"Don't act so surprised, I'm the bassist and lead singer."

"You just don't look like I imagined you at all honestly."

"Okay, I'm going to ignore how rude that was and suggest that you're a fan?"

"Sadly, no, I've listened to your music before, its actually pretty good. But my friend Sisky is a pretty big fan actually."

"Sisky?"

"His name is Adam, it's a nick name."

"Oh,"

They sat in silence for a few minutes after.

"Well, this was fun," William said, pushing himself off the ground, "see ya' around midtown." He started walking towards the woods again.

"Don't you want to know my name?" The boy called after him.

"It'd ruin the illusion,"

The boy paused. William barely heard him when he called out again.

"Can I least know yours?" He called uncertainly.

"William," He yelled back, turning his head slightly and smiling. He pulled his hood up and kept walking.

William was out of ear shot when the boy finally spoke again.

"God, he's cute."

---

A/N

just what i need, another fic no one will read.