Prologue:

A feline crashed through the undergrowth, heart hammering and legs trembling. Behind them, screeches filled the air and the bushes rustled.
The cat veered around a fallen tree, brown fur spiked. If they were caught, they'd for sure be dead.
At the thought, a cold surge of fear rushed through their body. They had to get away.
"You might as well stop runnin', Brittle!" One of the pursuers yowled.

Brittle stumbled blindly through the forest, sides heaving and lungs bursting for air. He could hardly feel his breath, and the wounds on him didn't help.
Brambles tugged at his pelt. He had no choice but to tear through them. He'd rather have brambles in his pelt than die at the paws of these cats.
He managed to rip through the mess. Patches of his fur were missing and more blood dripped from his pelt. But he kept running. There was one safe place that he knew those rogues couldn't go in.

Brittle caught glimpse of a fence in the distance, glowing in the moonlight. The voices of his chasers had died down, but he could hear their paws as they blindly stumbled through the undergrowth. A smirk came to his features when he heard one of them yowl something about how painful the brambles were.

He squeezed through the bushes, bounding towards the fence. He leapt onto it, digging his claws into the material when it wobbled with his weight.
He scrambled up the fence, claws scoring deep marks in the wood. Leaping down into the yard, Brittle crept into the bushes. The scent would disguise his scent.
He held his breath when the noise of his pursuers grew louder. After a few aching moments, the voices died down and the sound of their thudding paws faded.

The soft trickle of water filled Brittle's ears, and he noticed a small waterfall in the center of the garden. He made his way over to it and lapped up the refreshing water. Afterwards he sat up and made his way towards the nest.

"Milky? Are you there?" He whispered, halting in the middle of the yard. His shoulders sagged when no response came.
_She must be asleep..._ He thought, turning to pad away. There was no need to disturb her.

"Brittle? Is that you?" The sluggish voice made Brittle jump. He spun around to face a pale silver she-cat. Their green eyes shone with concern and widened when they rested on his bloody flank.
"O-oh my goodness, what happened? Did they do this again?" Milky bent forwards to lick his flank.

Brittle nudged her away, ears flat. "It's okay Milky. I survived."
"I told you not to anger them again." Milky muttered, plopping down beside him. "Why won't you just leave?"

Chest tight, Brittle turned to face Milky.
"I-I'm scared that they'll find out and kill me." He confessed quietly, pelt hot with shame.

Milky's eyes widened. "You can live with me. They wouldn't look here. And plus, that's one less cat in their area."
"Don't be hasty." Brittle muttered, gazing up at the sky. He couldn't imagine being in one of those twoleg dens. There wasn't enough space and it would never feel like the wild.
"I don't know anymore.."

Milky followed his gaze to the sky. "I heard that they wanted to move to the moorland. They said there was more prey there."
"Yeah..." Brittle sighed. Those cats always wanted just more of something. Greed had completely swallowed them up.

"Is Milan being his usual self?" Milky asked.
"Yep, he still thinks he's better than everybody." Brittle mewed, a frustrated growl making its way up his throat. He absolutely hated it when Milan would act as though his ideas and skills were the greatest.

Milky stood up, pelt glowing white with the moonlight. "I think you would be better off with me Brittle. You're my friend and I don't want anything to happen to you." She mewed, circling around him. "No more wounds...no more torture. You can get away from it."

Brittle felt apprehension flood him. "If I'm caught... Milky, you know I don't like closed spaces."
"You can stay in the garden! Brittle, please." Milky's eyes were desperate. "I don't want anything happening to you. You're my friend."

Brittle's heart ached to see his friend so worried. Milky was always cheerful and a huge jokester. But now..she seemed like a completely different cat.
Fear dug into his belly like sharp talons. What _would_ happen if he was caught? Would he be killed?
_I-I have to do this. It might be my only chance._ He told himself, resting his panicked gaze on Milky.

"Fine, I'll stay for a little while." He muttered in defeat, shoulders sagging.
A grin curved to Milky's lips and she gave a little bounce. "Eee! I'm glad you're going to stay. Now c'mon, I'll help you with your wounds."
Brittle nodded, rising up without protest and limping after the she-cat.

_

I'll be safe here. I can trust Milky._