Chapter Four:

Furzekit stared at the entrance of the nursery, not taking a single eye off of it. Sharpfoot would be there any moment now, and he didn't want to miss the chance of meeting his father.

Antpaw and Heatherpaw stood with their mentors in the camp clearing, staring at the older cats with blazing eyes.
"I totally did catch that mouse!" Furzekit heard Antpaw snarl.

"Did not! You didn't catch it alone, I helped!" Heatherpaw snapped back.
Duststar, who stood tall behind Antpaw, cleared his throat.
"Now that doesn't matter. You caught prey for the Clan; now come on, let's go." The leader began to pad away towards the camp entrance. Sedgeclaw, who remained silent during the argument, trotted after Duststar.
Grumbling, Antpaw stalked away with Heatherpaw stomping behind.

Furzekit huffed. He hoped that whenever he became an apprentice that he wouldn't have to be stuck with those bad-tempered cats, especially if Antpaw would be there. The brown-and-white tom would boss everybody's tails around until he was satisfied.
I can't imagine how Duststar can live with that rabbit-brain always bossing everybody!
Was Duststar really that patient with his apprentice? He never seemed to be bothered by Antpaw's controlling behavior. Even if he ever had been, he wouldn't scold his apprentice.

Furzekit snapped from his thoughts as a shadow loomed over the nursery. Sharpfoot!
Expectant to see the silver pelt of his father, Furzekit sprang to his paws. He raised his tail in greeting. "Hi Sharpfoot!"

A brown head peeked through the nursery entrance. "Sharpfoot?" The cat stared at Furzekit, puzzled. "I'm not Sharpfoot, silly!"
From where she was laying, Tawnykit raised her head. "Brownpaw!" She squeaked.

Oh, it's Brownpaw. Furzekit flattened his ears. He was for sure that his father would visit! Sharpfoot would never break a promise!
Brownpaw squeezed into the nursery. Her amber eyes glittered. "I remember when I was here," she mewed. "I really wish I can come back her sometimes."

"You can come back anytime! Just act like a kit and Duststar will send you back!" Tawnykit mewled, padding over to the brown she-cat.
Brownpaw chuckled. "Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. I wish it did though." She nudged Tawnykit.

Furzekit plopped back down on his haunches, then stood back up. He didn't want to listen to the two she-cats chatter on like blackbirds all day. I'll just go play with Whitekit.

Whitekit, curled against his mother's belly, had slept through the whole morning. Furzekit crawled over to Mothfur's belly, then poked Whitekit's flank.
The tom didn't twitch a muscle at the touch. Furzekit tried again, but only harder this time. Whitekit still didn't react, so Furzekit pawed at the tom's whiskers.
"Wake up, Whitekit!" He squeaked.
The white tom peeked open an amber eye. He glanced towards Furzekit, tilting his head.
"C'mon! Let's go play!" Furzekit butted his brother's side. "I'm bored!"

"You're bored?" Brownpaw's voice drifted from behind Furzekit. "Would you like to help me gather moss for your nests?"
Furzekit flattened his ears. "Uh, I don't really want to." He muttered. "I actually want to play."

Brownpaw nodded. "I understand, have fun!" She flicked Furzekit's ear with her tail-tip before bounding through the entrance.

Tawnykit glared at Furzekit. "Why don't you want to help her? She's so nice; we should help her!"
"I don't feel like helping!" Furzekit mewled in protest. Did he have to help everybody that was nice?
"Well I'm going to help her!" Tawnykit raised her tail. "At least I'll be serving a good deed." She added before padding out of the nursery, chin high.

Furzekit snorted. He didn't have to help everybody. After all, he still was a kit! So was Tawnykit.
He gazed at Whitekit, who had closed his eyes again.
"Whitekit!" Furzekit whispered in the tom's ear. "C'mon!"