Chapter 9: Uninvited

I was glad to be back to what felt like home. I really wanted to go to bed and sleep this off but something looked troubled on Darius’s face, which brought me back to when he told me that he wanted to tell me something.

“So, you said you wanted to tell me something from before. I want to know now, since we’re back.” I said while glazing at his expression.

“Oh, well I heard word from Nathaniel that something has been going on in your room. Noises have been heard from the room that’s disturbed the other classmates since we were gone but no one has picked up a trace of anyone in the room” he said with a serious face

“Just be careful and look out for anything suspicious.”

He led me to my room with all my stuff and left me to rest. The room looked normal with my normal bed and a normal floor with the same weird drawings. When I jumped in bed, I covered myself with the plush sheets for comfort but failed to bring me warmth. Sleeping didn’t really do much because the craving of blood felt like a necessity to me and filled my head. Catherine also filled my head but gladly I could no longer feel like I left her; like she was gone. It was almost like she was still here. Finally, my eyes became heavy and I dozed in to a long sleeeee……..

“…you’re living against your nature. When was the last time you had real blood? The blood that’s warm and fresh. You can taste it, can you? Unlock your instinct and let the animal inside, drive you.” said my darker self

I was in a café. I sat alone in the corner of the seat. Watching the humans in front of me; choosing my next drink. I see one. He looked like Darius and I could hear his heart beat and he smelled good. The setting changed and I was with him in bed. We kissed and he moved to my chest and my fangs came out and I attacked his neck. His blood was warm and sweet like fruit; I wanted more but his face was in pain, so much that tears ran down his cheek but somehow I didn’t care and continued to feed off of him until I couldn’t hear him anymore. I got up; my mouth dripping with blood and then I recognized that he was dead. No!

“Ceceile, wake up. Don’t allow the darkness to become you. The more you lose yourself, the weaker you are and more vulnerable.” said what sounded like Annabeth

A blinding light covered the scene that it burned my eyes. No!

Opening my eyes and waking up was a relief. It was only a dream. That animal that looked like me……I killed Darius. I am a monster, a killer. Wait, now I understand why my locket is glowing. It’s the locket that controls my hunger, so I don’t lose myself. My dream said to unlock my instinct but then my locket denounced that by snapping me out it. I looked to my locket and the glowing disappeared. I smiled at it; cherishing that fact that I wasn’t completely alone. That’s what brought me hope. Then I fell happily asleep.

*    *    *

I walked to the café that was on the first floor beside the empty hallway that Darius led me to when we first met. Melinda asked me to meet her there because she didn’t like seeing me depressed so I sat in front of her and she had a medium cup of coffee that smelled like milk which was added to it.

“Why did you call me over here?” I questioned her

“You are my friend. And I can see that you’re not happy, even when you say you are.”

“…I am. What do you want me to do, Melinda?”

“I want you to let me bear your burdens as your friend; I want you to tell me your problems so I can be there for you. You don’t have to suffer alone.” She said strictly while somehow still whispering.