Chapter 9

"So we're friends?"

Luke's P.O.V

All weekend, I thought about how to befriend Ellie. She told me that I can't just become friends with Ellie Walker & I needed to prove to her that I could indeed do that.

I could be friends with Ellie Walker - with the Ellie on stage & with the Ellie at school.

I realized all I had to do was keep trying.

I was willing to keep trying until she finally gives in.

She would have to eventually let me be her friend, right?

On Monday, I saw Ellie walk in, as usual & I walked to catch up with her.

"Good morning, Ellie."

"Luke? What are you doing?"

"What am I doing?" We stopped walking & I turned to smile at her. "I'm becoming friends with Ellie Walker."

"What?"

"You told me, & I quote, 'You can't just become friends with Ellie Walker' & I am here to prove you wrong. I want to be friends with you, no matter where we're at. Okay?"

"I don't get it."

"Hey, okay so you were right. I have been as bad as everyone else & I am sorry. I have ignored you for years & I promise I never started any rumors about you but I have listened to the others talk about them & I never stopped them. I'm so sorry about that. You can call me out for that shit as often as you want. But I can tell you that I want to be friends with this Ellie Walker." I pointed to her. "So please give me the chance."

Ellie didn't say anything. She continued walking towards her locker again & once she had spun her combination, she turned to look at me. "Luke?"

"Mhm?"

"Were you serious about that?"

"What I just said? Yea."

"Like you promise? This isn't some sick joke or like a bet to befriend me, right?"

"Oh my god, never. Ellie, I simply want to be friends. I don't care how many or how little friends you have, I don't care what others think, I honestly just want to get to know you, okay?"

"Okay."

"So we're friends?"

"Sure, Luke." She smiled at me as she peeked over from behind her locker door. "We're friends."

"Perfect. I'll see you at lunch."

& then I flashed her a giant smile before I went to find the others & to let them know that I was now friends with Ellie.

Once lunch rolled around, I had convinced Michael & Calum to come sit with me & we went over to Ellie's table.

She was looking down at the table, just doodling or filling out her assignment notebook or something but then when we took a seat, her head popped up.

"Oh, you weren't kidding." She looked at all of us. "You really were going to see me at lunch."

"Yep. That's what friends do, they sit together. I hope you don't mind I brought these lame guys along."

"Nah, there are plenty of seats." She laughed at her empty table. "I don't mind."

"So how has your day been, Ellie?" Michael asked her as he stuffed his face with cold, leftover pizza.

"You know, the usual. Nothing special for a Monday."

"Agreed. I think we should just ban Mondays." He then told her.