It's past.

Bucky hears a loud gunshot, he turns around to check if someone got hurt. He hears a loud "Ahh!" escaping a mouth of a familiar voice. It's Steve, falling on the ground. Bucky runs immediately after him, placing himself next to him on the ground, grabbing his uniform and placing Steve's upper body in his lap.

"Steve! you okay?!" Bucky asks worried, seeing that Steve tries to say something, he's definitely in pain.

"I- I don't think so Buck, not this time.." Steve manages to say, taking a lot of effort to let these words escape his mouth.

"Hey, hey! Don't say that.. we will fix you, punk!" Bucky takes Steve's hand, shoving it slowly down Steve's chest. 

He's bleeding. Bucky bites his lips, trying to find cheering up words.

"Y-you don't have to go through this alone.. I'm here, I.. I am with you..."

Bucky places his metal hand on Steve's bleeding wound. Steve whines beneath his touch.

"Buck.. I.."

"Shh.."

Bucky tries to calm him down, he realizes that Steve's barely breathing.

"S-Steve, stay with me!" Bucky's voice starts to shake, he feels his eyes are getting wetter and his gaze gets blurry. He looks down at Steve, sees him laying in his arms. A tear drops down Steve's face. Bucky knows he's not gonna make it. All the super-soldier serum and his friend dies right here? Here fighting against the great Tony Stark?

Bucky fakes a smile, hearing Steve gasping for air.

"Don't be scared Stevie.. I'm here.. I'm with you till the end of the line, pal.."

He sees his friend's facial expression changing - Steve is smiling

They look each other into the eyes, not realizing that Sam is running straight to them.

"Steve.. I.. I love you.. I can't lose you, not again.." Bucky grins for a second, until..

"Steve?.. STEVE! Are you with me?!" Steve doesn't respond and the brunet checks his pulse.

Steve's dead.

The Soldier inhales heavily, not letting out the breath, it's like.. he can't breathe. His hand is shaking, he's rubbing  slowly over Steve's chest. He strokes his friend's face with the other one, slowly reaching the eyes. He takes the eyelids slowly down, he looks friendly, he looks like he died in peace.. with a low smile on his face.. he looks like he's sleeping - just not breathing.

Breathing, that's what humans do, that's what people do when they're alive. 

Bucky shakes his head. He's denying what just happened.. maybe Steve just passed out..

"Steve, no, no, no, no... NO!" James whimperes the words loudly,.. almost screaming. He leans down, pressing Steve's upper body against his face, grabs his hand tight and just cries.

He suddenly feels a hand on his shoulder, he doesn't care who the person is though. His best friend just died.

It is Sam. 

"Bucky,.. it will be alright.." Sam heard Bucky's loud whining.. there's so much pain in his voice, there's so much sorrow in his tears. Sam shoves his tears right away and tries to cheer Bucky up.

Bucky just feels attacked by hearing a guy say that everything's gonna be alright, because nothing is gonna be alright! Bucky feels his anger growing inside of him, his metal hand is leaving Steve's chest.. and hits Sam right in the face.