Chapter 8

Dani searched through her closet, examining the collection of civvies she owned. She wanted to choose things that would be awesome for the night life on the shoreleave trip she would be taking next week. They were going skiing on Dolas, but still, if she and Will decided to go to Dolas' moons for the nights, she would need outfits that were absolutely irresistible. She'd been in this uniform for far too long without any time to enjoy the freedom civilian clothes provided. What she chose to wear on leave would have to be stellar.

As she contemplated a black mini, her door chimed. "Come in!" she called. The doors opened, and Q2 walked in. Dani looked up and saw his reflection in the mirror. She turned to him, surprised.

"Q," she said. "I didn't expect to see you here. I thought your father was here to pick you up and give you your powers back." Q's week-long stay aboard the Enterprise had come to an end, and now it was time for him to rejoin the Continuum.

"He already gave them back," Q said.

Dani, upon hearing that, realized that Q had only chimed out of respect. She smiled. He could have just popped in if he'd wanted to.

Q continued. "I just came by to say goodbye." He held up his hand and a bouquet of white roses flashed into existence. He handed them to Dani.

"Q!" she said. She placed her skirt on the bed and accepted the roses. "Thank you, Q. They're beautiful."

"They're a token of my gratitude," Q said. "See, you showed me, down on that planet, what it really means to be human. You showed me that it isn't as easy as I originally believed. Even after my time on Voyager, I didn't totally get it. But now I think I understand a little better. Thanks to you, Commander Riker, and the rest of the Enterprise crew."

"Q, I'm really surprised," Dani said. "And impressed. I'm glad your time here wasn't wasted."

Q smiled. "Ah, Cousin." Dani returned his smile, and they hugged. Q looked at her. "I should be on my way. Dad's waiting for me."

"Oh? Where are you two off to?"

"Who knows?" Q said with a shrug.

"Well, wherever you go, don't go popping into people's bedrooms during...intimate moments," Dani chided him.

"You needn't worry about that anymore," Q assured her. "I've learned my lesson on that front."

"Take care of yourself, Q. Be careful who you mess with."

"I will. I've got to be around so that I can come back and visit you again."

Q and Dani exchanged smiles. Then he disappeared in a flash of light.

"I'm glad that you realized being human wasn't just about sex," Dani muttered.

"It isn't," Dani heard Q's voice say, "but it's a big part. And fun, too. But of course, you already know that, Cousin. And now, so do I."

Dani looked around the room. She looked back at the roses and smiled. So, he had gotten his wish. Dani walked into the bathroom, to fetch some water for the roses.

xxx

Dani had finally finished packing for shore leave. She had cut it kind of close. The Enterprise had arrived at Dolas just this morning, and she was just now closing her third, and final, suitcase. She was looking around her quarters, trying to make sure she hadn't forgotten anything, when Will walked in, sporting only a shoulder bag. When he saw the ridiculous amount of luggage in Dani's living room, he smiled and mused that the amount of things she was taking could possibly be enough to clothe a small army.