An Unexpected Start

"Where the hell is my jacket, Gabe?"

"Wherever you left it at and why do you continue to spend our money that we could be using elsewhere, on dumb things? Hm?" Gabriel asked, standing in the doorway of his friend's room. With his arms crossed, he watched as his best friend and housemate tossed his clothes all over the place in search of his missing clothes.

"I don't spend our money on dumb things," He replied. He continued to dig through his closet, throwing out a bunch of things that he no longer wore until he finally came across his favorite type of clothing. His jacket. "Ahh, there it is."

"Ryder, that thing is filthy. You really need to wash it." Gabriel opinionated as he walked into the room to glance at the dresser mirror. "Hey, you think that guy from the diner will be there tonight?"

"Didn't he have a girlfriend? And I could have sworn you had a mirror in your own bedroom, So.." Waving a dismissive hand at him, Ryder went on to smell his coat. "What the hell? How can one piece of clothing smell this bad?"

Knowing Gabriel, it was common for him not to pay Ryder any mind when it came to him trying to grow a pair. "Oh, I don't know... Neglect, maybe?" One could hear the distinct smart allic tone fluttering in his tone of voice.

Ryder opened his mouth to reply to Gabriel's sarcastic comment, but was interrupted by the sound of their doorbell. "Not it," he announced, a smile creeping up on his face.

"Not..- Damn." Sighing, Gabe slowly walked out of the the room muttering before going down the stairs and to the front door. Unlocking the door and opening it, a lady wearing a dress stood on the other side with the biggest smile. Gabe mustered up a fake smile before the lady spoke.

"Sorry to intrude, but I heard that we had new members to the neighborhood and it would be a sign of resentment to not greet you with some sweet potato pie." Her smile was most genuine and a little too surreal. Holding out the pie, she kept her smile plastered on her face.

"Oh, well thank you... Ryder!" He called looking back hoping he would come down the stairs or at least answer back.

"What!" He shouted back.

Slowly taking the pastry from her hands, Gabe looked back to respond. "Our neighbor, Mrs...-" Looked to her.

"Simmons. Mrs. Simmons," she informed him.

"Mrs. Simmons, is here!" He called out.

"Is it another one of those old people coming here bearing gifts?" He asked. "What is it this time? Hard candy?"

Gabe quickly looked to Mrs. Simmons. "He doesn't mean that. He's kind of going through a rough time, you know cancer and all. Thanks for the sweets though." He claimed, lying on the drop of a dime. Closing the door, he turned on his heel with the pastry in his hands. "You're unbelievable!"

"I have no idea what you're talking about!" He said, walking down the stairs wearing a green jacket with a large hole in the left side and green pajama pants. "What's that?" He asked, referring to the object Gabriel was carrying.

"The dish the lady so generously prepared and the dish you so rudely mistaken as hard candy." He sighed before moving to the kitchen. "You always wondered why you are cast aside by our neighbors, this is one of the reasons. We only been here for a week and you have enemies." With that, he set the pastry in the fridge before brushing his hands off.

"I honestly don't know what you mean," he stated, sounding as confused as ever. He took out the pie, that was just placed in the refrigerator and sat it on the table. Then, he went to retrieve a spoon before assuming his position at the table. "I...want to make sure that it isn't poison. People around here are crazy, ya know?"