Chapter fifteen: my life is not a re-written version of happy families

"If you love two people at the same time, choose the second. Because if you really loved the first one, you wouldn't have fallen in love with the second."
- Johnny Depp

Unedited guys! Sorry for any mistakes or words in places where they shouldn't be!
_______________________________________________________

Chapter Fifteen: My life is not a re-written verson of happy families

People always say that after you've done something more then twice, it probably won't be scary any more. You'll have become used to it by then. However, that was not the case for Maxine. Her stomach was churning and she was feeling like she was about to throw up any second. She was pacing back stage, a week on from when she met the fans and the night of the next performance, waiting for Oscar to finish singing whatever pop song he was singing. The loud beat of the music and the cheer form the croud wasn't helping her head ache. She was sitting back stage, twisting her hands in her lap when a hand dropped onto her shoulder. She jumped and turned around. James was standing behind her, still panting softly. Clearly he'd just run down from the top of the auditorium, still in his costume from his performance.
"Holly sent me to check on you." He said, brushing the dark hair out of his eyes. "She's doing an interview at the moment, but she wanted to make sure you were alright." Maxine smiled and shrugged.
"I'm okay I guess."
"But..." James prompted. Maxine sighed.
"I'm just nervous James, I always am." James nodded, running a hand through his hair again, making it stick up all over the place.
"Do you want me to stay with you until you go on?" Maxine smiled at him but shook her head.
"I'm good."James raised his eyebrows at her, clearly not convinced. Maxine rolled her eyes and hit him playfully on the shoulder.
"I'm fine James. Go back up to Holly and the boys." James continued to stare at her.
"You promise? Holly will have my head if you're not." Maxine laughed.
"I promise." James sighed.
"Okay, if you say so." He gave her a hug and then vanished back into the darkness of the audience, just as Oscar finished his song. She could hear the audience screaming his name and when she peeked through the curtains, he was standing with his arms raised out to the croud. She rolled her eyes. He was so full of it! When he was escorted off stage and up to the back, Maxine took a deep breath, closing her eyes for a moment and calming her nerves. Then she felt a microphone pushed into her hand and a hand placed onto her lower back as she was gently ushered towards the stage. She could hear Amber announcing her amid the cheering of the croud.
"And now ladies and gentlemen. From this family we all know the name of her older brother. But in truth, this next performer has every right to be just as famous. Singing Gabriel Aplins Please don't say you love me please give it up for Maxine Waters!" Taking a deep breath and gathering her skirts in her hands, Maxine took to the stage. Staring out over the huge croud that had gone silent when the piano started, Maxine raised the microphone to her lips and began to sing.

Summer comes winter fades, here we are just the same. . .

As soon as she finishe, the croud burst into cheers, clapping and stamping their feet. All four judges were on their feet, their faces stretched into huge smiles. Maxine pressed a hand to her mouth, unable to keep the smile off her face. When Amber showed her off the stage, the boys and Holly were all waiting for her. Holly threw her arms around her neck and spun them round in a circle.
"You did it!" She squealed. Maxine laughed and hugged her back.
"I've done it before Holls."
"I know!" Holly responded, "but you still did it."
"Well done Maxine." Oliver said, pulling her into a hug. Noah, Jesse and James all hugged her, telling her how she did an amazing job. Then Amber appeared behind them, the rest of the contestants appearing behind her.
"Everyone on stage please." She said,  "it's time for the votes."