Down to Business

"What's the status on our troops at Prison Island?" Commander asked.
"They've all be stable since Mephiles arrived. We're unsure of his and the scepters connection but what ever he s doing it's working. Sir." A Prison Island lieutenant reported.
"Shadow, how's the new addition to our unit, uh Midnight?"
"Hehe, she fits right in Sir." He actually gave a smile with the thought of the new cat on his team. Rouge on the other hand crossed her arms and glared at him. She'd been recovering from the last attack and until then had Midnight fill in her place. Now she felt Shadow was treating her as a permanent replacement as his 'wing man' on his team. For the longest it was Shadow, Omega, and her that made up 'Team Dark'. Even adding a fourth member was rubbing her the wrong way. What was so special about this cat; aside from her being 'alien' to the planet that this hedgehog seemed to be so content on having her around? Usually Shadow is hesitant on working with others he doesn't know.
"And how far are you in locating this other scepter Mephiles had been speaking of?"
"Or are you too busy staring at her boobs?" Rouge growled behind Shadow before walking off to grab a coffee from the break room.
"Wha?" Shadow's ears twitched unsure if he heard her correctly but quickly stood to answer Commander Towers question, "Midnight, Silver, Omega, and I are both tracking several Scepters at once. We have reason to believe that some of the scepters are more deities such as Mephiles that were imprisoned and banished here, others are elemental based, such as wind, earth, water and so on... But those don't necessarily make them bad.. we actually have no clue what the elements are used for or why they exist."
"Perfect. I'll leave you on that case." Commander nodded, "Sonic how is the city's reconstruction?"

"Great, everything is being built back up at a steady pace and I'm investigating Eggman... He was in your base after all and Mephiles did say he'd already stolen things." Sonic hated to take advice from someone he still considers an enemy and untrustworthy, "So far Eggman has reconstructed a small base hidden in the jungle out of the mainland. I'd have Knuckles on it but he's busy restoring the Master Emerald. Shad's do you think I could borrow Amy for the job?"
"Amy? ...Sure." He shrugged, "As long as she doesn't get hurt.."
"You pacify her too much. She'll be fine." Sonic nodded, "Amy will be on my infiltration team, Tails is currently working on picking up any electrical or Chaos emerald signals from his base."

"Wonderful I'll leave you to it. Team Chaotix?" Commander looked over to the team of three.
"We want to help Shadow locate the scepters. We were there first hand tracking down the first one." Vector announced with an excited Charmy buzzing from his seat.
"I could use all the help." Shadow nodded causing Charmy to leap from his chair screaming to the top of his lungs.
"YES!! SHADOW SAID YES!!! I'LL BE WORKING ON SHADOW'S TEAM!!!!"
By now Shadow had been desensitized to childish clings and loud screams of admiration, from keeping up with Silver as a child. He smirked to the child bee, "Alright but don't get so loud. Rouge is already jealous enough as is." He placed a finger to his mouth signaling Charmy to keep it down. 
Finally the meeting was over everyone dismissed back to their duties, Amy had been waiting outside and lifted up in her chair watching Shadow walk out, expecting to be greeted by him immediately only slouched in disappointment as he didn't even look her way and passed by meeting Rouge in the next room.   

"Hey Ames!" Sonic greeted her instead, "Listen up, you're comin with me."
"W-what?" Amy looked up at him both their bright green eyes meeting her's filled with disbelief and confusion.
"I need your help getting into Eggman's base. Knuckles has his hands full so I figured what better partner than one of my old best friends. You haven't done much like this anymore since Shadow snatch you up and sheltered you away from all the action, think you're still in shape and up for the job?"
"Still in shape? Are you calling me old and fat Mister Hedgehog!?" She stood up with heated cheeks and poked her finger roughly at his chest, "He did not shelter me away, I have you know I am in perfect condition to get in and out of Eggman's new base unseen and with out a scratch on me!"
Sonic smiled rubbing the throbbing ache on his chest from her hard finger, "Great. Don't worry Shadow already knows about it so I'll see you outside when you're ready." He waved and left her to get ready, how ever that had to be.

"What was that back at the meeting?" Shadow asked over Rouge as she gave him her back too angry to look at him.
"Ever since I had to be left out of the missions due to recovering you and that new girl has gotten awfully close. And I mean it as in 'awful'." She grumbled glaring over her shoulder.
"What!? Midnight and I are on a co-op relation in these missions. If you're trying to play woman heroin for Amy trying to prevent me from cheating or what ever I assure you it's not like that."
"I could careless about who your dating Shadow, It's just that you're replacing me with her! You think I'm weak compared to her don't you? I fall ill too easily, I'm clumsy and get myself into more trouble than actually helping you."
"...Huh??" Shadow was still confused about Rouge's jealousy of the cat, "I'm not replacing you, I couldn't help the fact I needed someone to take your place while you recovered!"
"You would prefer her working with you, I could tell in just the way you answered Commander's question, with that stupid chuckle and dumb smile you had on your face."

"I missed the meeting." said the spoken of cat strutting into the room and poured herself some water looking to either have ran to the HQ or just got out of training with some bruising and scrapes down her arms and neck.
"Whoa, are you okay?" Shadow asked seeming to forget Rouge hadn't finished her argument with him.
All Midnight responded with was a smile behind her paper cup and gave a soft hum.
Rouge glared heavily at Shadow that went to inform her on the meeting she had missed out on.
"Where were you?"
"Oh, just got caught up in my 'work out', lost track of time. I'll be sure to make it to the next one." She sipped from the water.  

"Well thank you for covering for me Midnight, but I'm better now so I'll be taking my position back with Shadow now." Rouge interrupted before Shadow could answer. He rolled his eyes crossing his arms.
"Great glad to hear it." Midnight shrugged seeming to be unaffected by the change, "Besides two superior races on the same team is a little too much for the world to handle right now." She smirked.
"Superior?" Rouge grumbled, "What ever. Shadow I'll get Omega and wait for you with the rest of the search team." She walked out of the room.

"A girlfriend of yours?" Midnight asked crunching some ice she found in a cooler.
"Rouge?! No! Heavens no. Unfortunately I think my significant other would be much worse if she suspected me of cheating or something like that." He sighed pinning back his ears thinking of Amy. She'd be with Sonic, her old love interest and wondered how he'd feel if she decided she was interested in him again instead of being strictly loyal to him.
"Aw that's too bad." Midnight chuckled setting down her glass, "Well I'll miss working with you. I suppose your job will go slower than usual with the regular help of your original team."
Shadow wasn't sure to feel insulted by the comment but if he was being honest instead of proud, she had a point. He shrugged tilting his head in the thought, "Have you seen Mephiles lately?"
"Recently." She nodded with a smile, "He's protecting Prison island from the first scepter by keeping it in a negative zone of time."
"Oh thats good."
"Mhm. But we're going to have to come up with a place to keep it with out using him. Him using his power is a constant drain, even if a small trickle just like a running faucet, the bill will add up y'know."
"Yes I know. Well Commander should be contacting the construction team in the Mobian desert. Apparently they've nearly completed an unmanned base that's able to withstand even a bomb's destruction with the rare metals they've found on one of the secluded islands of down under. Things like the scepters can be kept there. Even Mephiles if it needed."
"Even you?" her golden eyes cut him a glare taking that last statement as a threat.
Shadow nodded, "Even me..."
"Great. Well lets get to work then, those scepters aren't going to just come out of hiding on their own."
"One more thing!" Shadow stopped her from walking out grabbing her arm and eyed the fading scratches as her god like body healed quicker than regular mobian's, "Are those from Mephiles..."
"He's got some rough equipment to work around." She smirked pulling out of his grip and walked out of the room her tail waving behind her.