Chapter 9

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP!
Link rolled over and grabbed his watch lazily, squinting. 4 a.m. He scanned his surroundings, wondering for a second where he was at then remembered last night and the side of his mouth tilted up as he smiled. He turned to his left.
"Rhett," he said, poking Rhett's body. Rhett groaned and turned around. "I gotta go back and prepare breakfast for my kids."
Rhett said "okay" while yawning which came out sounding like "ooohhhhhkaaaaaaay-uhh". He got up slowly and the two walked down the stairs quietly to the door.
Rhett opened the door. "I'll come back in about half an hour. Bye!" Link said as he got into his car. Rhett closed the door slowly, waving. "Bye!"
• • •
"This is hard." Link mumbled as he looked around for something to give his kids to eat. Then his eyes landed on the frosted mini wheats he got in June as his birthday present from Rhett with the photoshopped piece of paper glued in front. He sighed, grabbed it and put it along with a note which said:
"Gone off to work. Milk's in the fridge. Make sure to get the bib for Lando. If you don't want cereal theres bread and butter in the fridge.
-Link"
Then Link rushed out of the door, locked it and drove to Rhett's house.
• • •
Link's car pulled up in the studio's driveway. The two walked up and were greeted warmly by the crew.
[a/n: I stopped writing here like 4 years ago so my writing style is probably different now oopsie]
Then the incessant questioning accompanied a cacophony of condolences. Word had spread fast.  A backdrop of impatient voices drowned in the chatter, rushing to get the show filmed. Rhett's voice cut through the chaos, a distinct baritone passing its raspy sound waves through the man's iconic facial hair.
"Questions later! Roll the cameras!"
The noise died down instantly. The crew reluctantly got to work and the duo looked at the plans - will it yogurt?. Link half sighed, half laughed. At this point the least technically advanced artificial intelligence could very likely generate video ideas for them. Rhett picked up on Link's hint of disappointment, an easy task with someone he'd known so well for three decades. He let out a little chuckle.
"Staying on brand, buddy."
They turned back to the crew. Behind the wooden table, microphones were poised and cameras whirred mechanically. They were ready. Rhett cleared his throat. And Link wished he were ready too, because at that moment he felt his eyes suddenly well up with tears as his mind exploded into an image of his wife's fading aura. The glow darkened and the real world grew blurry. Not now! Link blinked back tears helplessly in front of his silent audience. Studio lights made the falling droplets glisten, and the microphone obediently transcribed the man's deafening wail. He reached his hands out to his face in an attempt at some sort of privacy and comfort, but another pair got there first. He whimpered, but soon could not because something obstructed his lips.
Something hairy. Something familiar. Something Rhett.
Wide eyes dotted the crew who were now understandably uncomfortable. Silent messages were passed. Cut cameras? Look away? Watch two grown men French kiss?
Link pulled away. His face was red and puffy, tear lines framing his nose and mouth. His voice quaked frailly.
"Are-aren't the cameras still rolling?"
Stevie nodded offscreen. Link took a deep breath and tried to compose himself. His voice stabilized ever so slightly. His lips still quivered, but he gave it his best shot.
"Today we ask the age old question"
The crew sighed with relief. Everything was back to normal.
"Are Rhett and Link gonna get married?"
Rhett signaled to cut. Link's eyes shone mischievously. The room once again broke into chaos. Good Mythical Morning could wait another day -
A keyboard clicked.
- Or maybe not.