The Shock

I believe I need to repeat this in case you have skipped it in the book description and the previous chapter. This book is now published and it only includes sample chapters. The sequel-standalone- is still posted as free. If you are not interested in reading just sample chapters, or the sequel, please stop reading now. I will only post a few chapters here, but I can no longer post the whole book here as it is sold on Amazon. Thanks for your understanding. 

"Come back here Annabelle, right now!" My dad shouted at me as I left the house running.

They were sending me away to live with my aunt and uncle and with no explanations whatsoever. I refused to go. This was my home, and I was going to stay right here where I belonged. I knew I was acting childish, but I couldn't help it. Everybody and everything I loved was here; this was my home. I would not let them take me to a faraway place where I would no longer be able to see my brother Samuel, my best friends Joshua and Danny, not to forget Gregory, the man I knew I was destined to be with. I shifted as I was running, allowing my wolf to take over my body and sped towards my secret place. I had found this place when I was five and my ten-year-old brother, whom I found to be so annoying at the time, had driven me nuts by telling me how ugly I was, and how nobody loved me because they had found me at the border of the pack territory five years ago. Needless to say, I had cared at the time, being only five after all!

"Liar, you are a big fat liar" I had screamed at him, but I could not prevent the tears of frustration and hurt that came strolling down my cheeks.

"You are not my real sister. You should go back where you came from," he had replied arrogantly, his young face twisted in and contorted in anger.

I had then run in the forest, and my brother had let me. After what seemed like hours of running, I had come to a clearing by the cliff, falling out of exhaustion. Waking in the middle of the night to a full moon in the sky looking down on me, I was mesmerized. The moon had smiled at me that day, its light almost blinding me. Staring at it for hours, I had felt all my anger and resentment leave my body. Right then, I had heard them, the wolves howling in the night and I knew they were coming for me. Unable to bear the thought of sharing this place with anyone else, I had taken off, not stopping until I knew I was far away. Then I had simply waited for them to find me.

I was running there right now, the place where I always found consolation when I was agitated. It always gave me peace as if I belonged there. Then I was shaken by another disturbing thought. Dear Moon Goddess, going away from here also meant I would be away from my secret place, how would I ever bear that? How was I ever going to be okay with all of this nonsense shit they were piling on me? I just wanted everything back as it was. I hated change; I absolutely loathed it.

"Belle, stop. Wait for me, " hollered my not so annoying brother anymore. In fact, Samuel and I were very close now, we have been for a long time. The only annoying thing about him now was his over protective manners. He was forever keeping me away from Gregory, his best friend who happened to be the hot son of the pack's beta as well as all the others. I was shielded from any slander, and insult against my small wolf because everyone in the pack knew that making me a target would mean confronting Sam. And nobody wanted to do that, he was huge at 6 feet 10 inches with bulging muscles and easily the strongest member of our pack.

I did not look back; I needed to be away from everyone. But, I heard him shift to his large gray wolf behind me which meant that he would catch up with me in exactly a minute. Unfortunately, my wolf form was pathetic; it was small, weak and slow. It's always been like that since the moment I shifted at 15. I never understood it; my father is the alpha of the pack, and my mother is an alpha's daughter. I should have come out better for Moon Goddess' sake, look at Sam, it was so damn unfair! But my parents never let me think that way, I had the most loving parents. That is why I did not understand it at all that they were sending me away.