Too Late

When we reached home, mom and dad were waiting for us with worried expressions. I went up the stairs in my wolf form and changed into a pair of clean blue jeans and a t-shirt before I strolled down to face my parents. Sam was already in the room. They all looked at me tensely as I threw myself into my favorite rocking chair and said, "Let's not talk about this anymore. That is seriously all I can handle for today."

My dad nodded, grabbing mom's hand tenderly and they left the room hand in hand. That was, my parents to you! They were still madly in love. Sometimes I couldn't believe how they were still so engrossed with each other after so many years. One day, I wanted to be in love like that, which was only going to happen if the Werewolf and the Demon King left me alone to find my mate. A minuscule possibility, by the looks of it. I was likely to die mateless. I was better off coming to grips with this reality. My mission was to survive; I sure could live without love.

Right then, there was a knock on the door. Sam went to open it and came back with Gregory. Hunky Gregory, yummy. Well, probably I was not going to live long enough to meet my mate, but I could still enjoy ogling Gregory, couldn't I, now?

"Hi, what's up, Belle?" asked Gregory, his eyes averting me as always. He was so very shy, in a very cute sort of way. It was amazing really, how insecure he was despite his amazing looks. He had curly black hair of shoulder-length and vivid green eyes with long eyelashes. Not to mention, he had a killer body.

"What are you guys up to?" I asked him.

"Not much. We'll just watch a movie," he said shrugging his shoulder.

"Can I join?" I asked hoping this time Sam would let me. After all, I've really had a lousy day.

Gregory sadly turned his head and looked at Sam expecting his normal rebuttal. Gregory was in Sam's circle of friends who followed his strict "hands off my sister" policy which included not looking, and definitely not spending time with me.

"Well, ok," Sam said shocking Gregory and me at the same time.

"Cool, what are we watching?" I asked eagerly, but I really didn't care. I just wanted to take my mind off it all.

"Lord of the Rings," said Sam as he took the first DVD in the series and put it in the player which was immediately projected on the 75-inch flat screen.

I got up from the rocking chair, aiming to place my butt on the comfy leather sofa across the TV. I tried to wiggle my way in the small space between Sam and Gregory, but my brother reverted to his old ways, scooting towards his buddy before I could even place my butt. Well, so much for my subtle way of getting close to Gregory! I guessed there was only so much that Sam would allow even under these circumstances. My butt still in the air, I reluctantly lowered myself next to Sam.

Watching a movie like this made me feel good, like today was any typical day. I was almost beginning to think that the impending doom was just a figment of my imagination, and I never had that conversation with Sam. I felt my eyes falling when it was sometime in the middle of the night and Sam hurried to insert the last DVD in the series. I couldn't believe how energetic both he and Gregory were as the evening slowly left its place to sunrise; it must have been the alpha and beta blood in their veins. But, I also had the same blood, and I should have been as alert! Nope, I suddenly remembered. That thought woke me up like a bucket of icy water, and I shifted in my seat, straightening my shoulders. Sam suddenly paused the DVD and stood up.

"I'll make some popcorn. Don't start the movie without me; I'll be right back," Sam said, in a serious tone.

Men...He must have watched this movie a thousand times, and he was still watching it as enthusiastically as if it was his first time.