Chapter 40

I woke up and looked around me, Newt had fallen asleep next to me, his face was frozen in a worried expression. I could hear him breathe, it were even breaths with short poses. His chest moved slowely up and down. Chuck had moved places and was now lying beside me, his head resting on the cold floor. He was peacefully asleep, thank God. It made me so sad that he had to go through this. He was too young. Too innocent.
I saw I was the only one awake, so I quietly stood up and left the room.

The Glade was destroyed, everywere you looked were still little fires. Smoke everywere. The plants had burned to the ground, and some of the trees had fallen down. I looked around me and saw a boy laying on the ground. It was Ben, he was covered in blood but his face was unharmed. I sprinted over at him and tried to feel his pulse. He was alive, but barely. My hands were covered in blood now, too. I knew I couldn't carry him in by myself so I ran back to the homestead.

'Help!' I yelled. 'Some are still alive but they need help now otherwise they are going to die!'
Newt jumped up, so did a couple of other boys. I saw Clint and Jeff ran towards the door.
We all ran outside and two boys carried Ben in, while the rest of us looked around the Glade for more wounded. We found three more, and carried them in. The rest of the people had all died this night or had been taken with the grievers. Alby's body wasn't one of them, so he was probably taken too.

The med jacks needed more help so a couple of the track-hoes decided to help them.

I went to the map room with Minho, to see what the damage was.
Luckily enough, only one wall had burned to the ground and the fire was gone. The map was still standing and most of the patterns were still there.

'We can't go today.' I said, breaking the silence. We hadn't spoken much after everything that had happend.

'I don't think we have much choice, Rosa.' Minho answered.

'But what about Ben and the others?'

'We can't risk more lifes for them. I have discussed this with Newt.'

'But...' I knew I didn't have a good argument, so added, 'Okay, that makes sense but we have to leave instructions for them. Where the griever hole is, the codes, etcetra. They at least have to have a chance to get out of this shuck place.'

'That's why we're here.'

'Why do I feel so bad about leaving them here?' I whispered.

'Because you're human and a good one.' Minho answered while he took a piece of paper out of a drawer. He began writing things down with a pencil and I walked over at him to look over his shoulder. He was drawing a small map: how to get to section 7.

'Can I do something?'

'Yeah, find a piece of rock as big as a tennis ball.'

'Why?'

'You'll see.'

And so I left the room. I walked around the little house until I found a perfect piece of rock.
I heared footsteps so I looked over my shoulder. Newt was sprinting to me.