Bad News Comes in More Than Threes

She looked out at the sails billowing in the wind. They'd have to keep going until they hove to. Looking around she saw an urchin digging in the sand, possibly for coins lost. She drew a shilling out of her pocket and held it up so he could see.

He quit his efforts and ran over to her. She slid off Naya and handed the boy her reins. "Take my horse to the Pearl, and if you do as I ask, there will be another shilling for you." She put the coin in his hands and watched as he ran off, as fast as the horse would cooperate.

"Okay," she said to herself, "Find a boat, someone who's willing to catch and follow my brother." She wandered down to the water's edge, where men sat idly, waiting for someone to hire their services.

She held up a small gold coin. "See the Spaniard? I need to catch up to her and follow her until she stops. Is anyone interested?"

One man, dark and swarthy answered her, "Of course, mademoiselle. My skiff is the fastest and I am the most skilled of sailors amongst these others. I would be happy to help you."

She handed him the coin and got into his boat. "I am going on board as soon as she heaves to. My brother is the captain (well, I think so) and I wish to surprise him.

It was an unusual sensation, being so close to the water. True to his word, the little dark Frenchman skillfully steered his skiff in pursuit of the ship. For a short while, she thought they could not catch the Spaniard, but soon they were running at her side. They seemed so close that Cathy expected to be splashed from the wake. Water did not even reach them when they dropped anchor.

The boatman steered his skiff as close as he dared to the Spaniard. Cathy stood, holding onto the mast, and called, "Ahoy, who is aboard?"

Billy Bones poked his blond head over the side. "Ahoy, Cathy, are you coming aboard?"

"Ay," she answered, and he dropped the step ladder down so that she could come aboard.

The boatman eased his skiff closer to the man o'war, and she dropped another coin into his boat before mounting the ladder. She didn't watch as he sailed away or saw the tip to his hat that he gave to her. She saw only Billy's outstretched hand as he reached to help her aboard and the dark red hair of her brother as he stood talking to Silver. She returned the quick embrace that Billy gave her, and started towards her brother, when Charles suddenly took her in his arms and held her tightly.

She didn't know what to do, she was returning his embrace without really meaning to, and she smelled the familiar scent of gunpowder and sweat as she found herself pressed tightly to his chest. No, she thought, this is not where I want to be, I have fought too hard to free myself from him. But as always, she found herself contemplating the conundrum of why she and Charles seemed to fit. She hated him sometimes, like hating him for killing Richard Guthrie, but maybe she knew him too well to truly hate him. Sometimes she wondered if he was her destiny, and destiny could not be fought, only followed.

She pushed him gently away, "I want my brother," she said, and Flint came over and took her in his arms. Through all their fights, despite all their differences, she remained his little sister. She knew Charles didn't understand their bond, any more than Billy or Silver, but it was still there. Having him hold her, just having him there, made her feel she was truly home, no matter where they were.

"I have to talk to you," she told them, "You, Charles, Silver, and Billy. Things have happened, things you need to know about—and none of what I have to tell you is good. Can we meet in your cabin now?"

"All right." He let go of her and motioned to the three others. Cathy he never questioned. If she said something was serious, it was. She was not prone to fancy, was level headed and sensible. Something was obviously up, and if she said he needed to know, that was it.