Chapter 18: Ransom

*CHER'S POV*

"Uh, your hair looks nice."

"Gee, thanks." Zach smiled stiffly as he was washing the dishes.

"I'm not used to you giving me compliments. Do you want to go for 'round two' tonight?" He smirked.

"Excuse me?"

"Oh you know what I mean."

"Oh. God, no! You're disgusting." I made a face.

"Why thank you." He took it as a compliment.

"Juliet, come here." Harry called me over.

"What?"

"You're acting rather fidgety. What did you do, Cher?" He tried to corner me.

"I didn't do anything! And how sure are you that I'm 'Cher' right now? I could be anybody..." I crossed my arms against my chest.

I'm really bad at stalling, I suppose.

"Because you just whined about 'doing the right thing' before dinner." Harry rolled his green eyes.

"Yeah, yeah. Guess what? I've decided to hate you." I spat out.

"On what grounds?"

"For being such an ass, that's what!" I shrieked.

"Why are you getting so worked up over killing Tomlinson anyway? Do you fancy him?"

"This has NOTHING to do with that! We're talking about killing an innocent person here... okay, maybe not that innocent and I know he can be a real jerk too but that's besides the point." I ranted.

"Okay, fine! We're not going to kill him. Just stop talking, alright?" Harry finally caved in.

Well, I didn't think he would but this is a good thing.

"I'm done washing the dishes. I'm going to check on Luke now." Zach headed down the lab.

Oh boy. Moment of truth. I don't know if they're going to kill me instead once they found out what I had done but---

"Ahhhhh!" We heard Zach screaming and so we had to check things out even though I already knew as to why he was doing that.

"Someone removed the duct tape off from his mouth!"

"Wait, WHAT?!" Why the hell is Luke still tied up in the chair?!

"Did you do this, Juliet?" Zach questioned me.

"That's right, I did..." I glared at Luke and gave him a 'what the hell?' look.

"Big deal. I'll just go get a new tape."

"I, uh, decided not to escape." Luke whispered lowly to me once I got near him.

"Why?" I whispered back.

"Because of you. I mean, I can't just leave you here." He reasoned out.

"Well, I can take care of myself. I don't understand, I thought you were a selfish jerk."

"Yeah, I thought so too..." The guy grimaced before I placed the duct tape on his mouth.

"Can I come to the 'exchanging' tonight?" I want to make sure that no one gets killed.

"Certainly not." Zach disapproved.

"Oh just let her watch." Harry told Zach.

"Okay then. You're the boss. She's staying in the car though." Zach said.

*NATE'S POV*

"For the last time, sir, can you PLEASE pay attention?" Deputy Lawson pleaded.

"Sure. Sorry if I got distracted with eating all of your donuts." They're super delicious.

"All you have to do is handout the briefcase filled with a million dollars to the kidnapper while we secretly surround the place."

"Okay. Can I wear one of your vests though? It makes one look pretty buff." I asked.

"I already told you that you can, sir."

"Oh, sorry. It's just that... these donuts are killing me!" I talked with my mouth full.

~10 PM @ THE DOCK~

I patiently waited for the kidnapper to arrive while I thought about those delicious donuts that I just ate at the station.

Once all of this is over, I am going to buy more donuts.

That's when a black car pulled over.

Some dude wearing a really cute 'Petunia the pig' mask from looney toons stepped out of the car and slowly made his way towards me.

"Do you have the money?" He asked.

"Here you go. Wait, do you have my friend?" I handed him the briefcase.

"Yeah, sure."

And that's when Luke stepped out of the car.

The next thing you know, the two of us were running towards each other in slow motion just like in the movies.

"Boy, I haven't seen you for days!" I hugged my sassy best friend.

Then we heard gunshots and that's the last thing that I could remember.

*LAWSON'S POV*

I aimed fire at the kidnapper but I surprisingly missed my target.

He managed to run back to his car and started driving real fast.

In short, he got away with the money and I'm going to be in SO MUCH trouble.

*LUKE'S POV*

"Hey, man. You alright?" I asked Nate once he came back to his senses.

"Why are we at the hospital? Did I get shot?" My friend gasped.

"No. You just passed out in my arms like a real sissy once you heard the gunshots."

"Oh. Who's she?" He asked.

"Juliet." I looked over at her hospital bed.

"Wait, I know her."

"Yeah, you slept with her, remember?" I sighed.

"I've been looking all over for this girl! I am SO going to marry her!"

"Hold your horses, man. Didn't she like robbed you or something?" I arched a brow.

"Yeah but that's ancient history. I mean, look at her. Doesn't she look like an angel when she's fast asleep?" Nate swooned.

"Uh-huh. Are you seriously going to marry a complete stranger just because she looks like an angel when she's sleeping?" I said with a poker face on.

"Correction, we had a one night stand so that makes us 'acquainted'." Nate rolled his eyes.

"Okay, whatever." Why am I even bothering to try to talk some sense into him?

*ZACH'S POV*

"I got the money."

"Great. Where's Juliet?" Harold asked.

"Um, she might've rolled out of the car at some point..."

"WHAT?!"

"Don't worry, I'll get her back, I promise."

*HAROLD'S POV*

"You better! She's the subject of my research!" I shrieked.

I know for a fact that Juliet wouldn't pull such a stunt but Cher might.

She was telling me earlier how much she hated me but I never expected that she'd actually roll out of the car just because of that.

Now I kind of feel bad about it.

Perhaps I should try to be nicer to her?