limitless

a/n - i've made a playlist that correlates with this one shot. it's on 8tracks under the username txrches. i really recommend listening to it while you read. it will make the experience so much better, i promise. anyway, i hope you enjoy.

- lena

-

There's only a few things that Ally doesn't like.

She's always been a stickler for organization. And repetition. And routine. And when any of those things are tampered with, she panics.

Or in this case, she loses any of the attention span she has. Which is why on this dreary December morning, as she's walking down the hallway to class, everything feels out of place.

She's walked these hallways millions of times before. She knows them like the back of her hand. Ally can name every single layer of paint that resides behind the dull gray that currently covers the walls. She's grown up here. It's more home than her actual house.

She doesn't like her reputation for being a pastor's daughter. Although, she seems to fit the stereotype, clad in her pleated navy skirt and black uniform flats. But so does everyone else here. For some reason, (which she still doesn't understand), the school likes to make everyone look the same.

If you want to be an individual at Bear Valley Boarding School, you have to find other ways to stand out.

And unfortunately for Ally, the thing that seems to set her apart the most is her parents.

The minute she graduated 5th grade with a few of her other homeschooled friends, she fell into place at the boarding school. Hell, her father practically ran the place. And when her mother transferred to a full time teaching position there aswell, the entire Hernandez family moved in to the school building. It was her home.

Which is why as soon as she sees one of the faculty on a small stepladder in front of the vacant room in their hallway, she's instantly curious.

"What're you doing?" she asks politely, curling her fingers around the straps of her backpack and looking up at her hallway's advisor with curious eyes. The woman taps something with her hammer once more before turning around and stepping back down to the floor.

"Grade 12 is getting a new student," the woman gives Ally a soft smile and motions to the wooden plaque that now sits atop the doorframe. Pursing her lips, Ally looks up and lets her eyes scan the dark letters. Camila.

"That's odd," Ally comments, nodding once and pausing for a few moments. "I thought we weren't expecting any new students? My dad said we're at full capacity."

The woman seems to be taken off guard by her statement, but she eventually shrugs. "We're always willing to make exceptions," she nods softly. "Now hurry to class or else you'll be tardy."

"Oh, right," Ally nods, glancing at her watch and giving the woman a thankful smile before she disappears down the hallway to her first class.

Her attention is anywhere but the board during English class, however. Instead, she's trying to figure out what could have possibly made this girl-Camila-such an exception.

-

Ally is always eager to make new friends, but she's also pretty comfortable with the ones she has now.

Growing up with a father as a pastor has forced her to be outgoing, whether she wanted to or not. So conversation comes easy to her. Her bubbly personality earned her the nickname 'sunshine' as a little girl. And although she doesn't mind it, she also wonders if that's all there is to her.