R e d a m a n c y

Chapter Fifteen

a good friend can tell you

what is the matter with you in a minute.

he may not seem such a good friend after telling

;

Arthur Brisbane

Waking up with mosquito bites on my arms was definitely not the best way to wake up.

          But waking up next to a shirtless hot guy? Definitely the best way to wake up. If only that happened in real life. Because the bastard lying next to me was undeniably not hot. And attractive. And good looking. And has a killer jawline. And a six-pack.

          Squinting at the rising sun, the sky a stunning palette of blue, white and orange, I rolled to my side only to find a smiling Adam with his unfairly attractive sleep-ridden eyes. And I imagined myself years from now, waking up beside someone I love with the sun peeking through slats of the blinds, the soft rustle of the leaves filling the comfortable and easy silence between us.

          And we'll just lay there, with my head resting on his chest— on where his heart beats, and he'll softly run his hand through my hair, our mind and soul still in that space between being awake and asleep. Secure and enthralling.

          A half-smile danced on Adam's full lips. And said, softly spoken, "If I get to wake up like this with you," he rested a hand on my tailbone and scooted closer to me, lips dangerously close to mine that his warm and spearmint breath fanned mine, "every single day of my life, then I would be the luckiest assface in the world."

          I covered the silly grin forming by hiding my face in his bare chest, snuggling closer. "Stop that." I did not like this. At all.

          His shoulders shook as he laughed. "Stop what, cherry?"

          "Stop making me feel things. I don't like them. Make them go away." I bit my lip and drew small hearts on his chest. The tall grass around us swayed to the wind, dandelion fluffs flying in the wind. Even the rush of the waterfall lost its loud hustle.

          "What kind of things?" He, too, was grinning though he made no move to hide it and lifted my head with his index finger and thumb. "Things like this?" Adam's hand reclaimed their place on my waist and inserted themselves inside my shirt. Everywhere he touched was a wildfire that had my toes clenching with anticipation until it stopped just below the hem of my bra. "Or things when I say that I wouldn't mind waking up next to you and having your so-called moments even when I have to suffer through your morning breath?"

          I really wished killing wasn't a crime. But hey, knee-ing someone in the balls wasn't.

          Even though the pull to do so was strong, I still had some self-control. I rolled my eyes and started to stand up. "You just love ruining these moments, don't you?"

          "I was just kidding." He gently pulled me back down with him, an unapologetic smile grazing his lips. "Your breath actually smells of apples. And you know what? I love apples."

          I swat his hand away. "You're doing it again." Heat rushed up to my neck then to my cheeks and I probably resembled an apple. "Stop saying stuff like that, will you?"