January 1st: Holiday

January 1st. Thursday.

It's been one day. One full day, actually. Justin hasn't called or texted me once since he had came over my house and kissed me. I don't feel heartbroken or anything like that--- especially since I am right beside Nick at his place, in his room. It's been a while since I've been around Nick and Jenny. I remember Nick telling me that he and Jenny were planning to runaway from home, but their plan had backfired once Nick realized that their insane father was planning to call a "search party" from the police.

I've been sitting on Nick's bed for a while now, listening to Coldplay and Angles & Airways on Nick's iPod. Nick was beside me, reading a book while ignoring the rest of the world like he's been trying to do for the past years of his life since his mom stepped out of it.
Sigh.

I decided to ask him what he was reading, and he responded with a low voice.
"Me and Earl and the Dying Girl" he responds, barely holding eye contact with me. It's almost as if he doesn't really want to talk to me.
And yet, he invited me over here to spend some time with him since he was planning to leave his dad with Jenny.
"You know you can tell me anything Nick" I remind him. "We've been friends since---"
"I'm fine, Holiday" he interrupts my words with annoyance and frustration. He barely looks at me at all when he talks. "Go call your boyfriend or something, okay?"

I snorted.
Usually, I don't let Nick's little attitudes get to me, but today was actually different. It's now the New Year, so nothing was going to stay the same for long.
I simply looked at Nick before telling him, "You're an asshole."

He didn't say anything to me as a response to what I said.
No. All he does is look at me after placing his book down in his lap, and stare at me as if I am the one who is in the wrong. Maybe I am, but I real don't care at this point.
Nick is my friend, after all. If I need something to be said under his acknowledgement, then so be it.

I thought it would probably be best for me to leave and to allow Nick to read his book in peace without me. However, when Nick reaches for my wrist and asked me to stay, I knew that wasn't going to happen. I licked my lips dry on the spot as he sighed.
"Look, Holiday", he said, keeping his voice straight, "I'm sorry. Please don't leave, all right? I apologize."
His words fell from his mouth soothingly as he spoke to me, making full eye contact. He had his hand still on my wrist before dragging it down to my hand.

I took a slow inhale before relaxing myself back onto Nick's bed, and he released my hand. I felt my cheeks burn when he stared at me with the light smirk on his face that I've missed for the past few days.
"Stop staring at me."
"Sorry."
I shook my head.
"It's okay."
He snorted, asking, "Is it?"
That's when I simply rolled my eyes before resting my head on his shoulder.

For the rest of the time I've spent with Nick, he's been reading and I've been trying to stay awake due to the silence of the day making me drowsy and tired. I could simply do something to keep myself awake, but it wasn't easy as it seems. There was nothing for me to do without mistakenly interacting with Mister Valez.
So, in conclusion, I did nothing.
Period.

I guess Nick could tell I was getting exhausted of just sitting and doing nothing at all since he had asked me, "Want me to take you home?"
I chuckled as I sat up on my elbows, being highly cautious that I didn't elbow him at all.
"No, I'm good" I told him. "I want to stay."
He rolled his eyes.
"Holiday, you're tired."
"So?"
"Let me take you home."
"No."
He asked me, "why?", and I just crossed my arms over my chest. Then, I shrugged my shoulders before he laughed lowly to himself.

He told me, "You know, it's late and your parents will hate me if I don't get you home."
I say, "I'll be fine."
He rolled his eyes.

Before I was even able to sit up and get up out of his bed, Nick had my hand in his and stared at me.
My cheeks burned.
"Thanks for staying" he told me before releasing my hand in jiffy.
I shrugged my shoulders, telling him that it was the least I could do for a friend that I care about. Besides, I know that if I was in Nick's position, he'd do the same for me.
"Anytime Ni---"

My words are caught to a pause when I feel Nick's hands hold my face lightly before his lips brush against mine. My throat tugs in a complete knot before I am able to register anything that is occurring right now. He keeps his hands positioned on my face as he continues to lightly kiss me like a delicate dessert flower.
I have to hold onto the edge of the bed as I let my lips follow his before he drops one hand slowly to my shoulder as his lips never leave my own.
God, this is real. All of it.

I break myself away as Nick releases me altogether. I clear my throat, trying to digest everything that just occurred to me. Nick is close to crying, I can tell, but he holds himself together before standing to his feet and off the bed.

"I'll...uh..."
He looks at me.
"Yeah" I respond. "Okay."
We barely talk to each other and he walks me home to my house.

Shit.