Prologue

"You'll never be anything. Anything!" the bully hissed into my face as he pushed me closer to the wall. His breath stung my nose- musty and stale, with just a hint of spicy cigarette smoke. My silence must have angered the bully even more, because he shoved me hard into the brick wall. The edges of the hard bricks bit into my back. But I didn't say anything. I kept my mouth closed. "You hear me?" he asked, rapping the side of my head with his knuckles. "You're just too stuck up to say anything, aren't you?" Gosh how I wanted to punch him in his moronic face. But I was too scared. He towered over me, strong and terrifying. Desperately searching for a way to escape, I dove underneath his arm, scrambling to escape. But he grabbed the corner of my hoodie, jerking me to a halt. "Where you think you're going? I didn't say I was finished with you."

   "Hey."

   I whirled at the unfamiliar voice. Josh Holcomb stood there, tall, confident, his arms crossed. "What do you think you're doing?" Even with the hoodie he was wearing, you could see his muscles tensing, biceps firm beneath the fabric. A breeze ruffled his blonde hair.

    The bully gulped and let go of my hoodie. "Um, nothing, Josh. I, er..." he trailed off, his eyes darting back and forth like a frightened rabbit. "I've gotta go." He dashed off.

    I glanced at Josh, who stood there, glaring after the bully, watching him run away. "Stupid jerk," he mumbled. He suddenly seemed to realize I was staring at him, and glanced over at me. "Don't let him get to you."

    I glanced down at my scuffed sneakers, suddenly painfully self-conscious of my ripped hoodie and messy hair. It probably looked like a bird's nest by now. When I glanced up again, Josh was gazing at me intently.

   "So what they say is true," he murmured, looking softly at me with his gentle eyes. "You really don't say much, do you?"

   I didn't respond. I never do. I just kept my mouth shut and looked back down at the dirt, heart thumping with the fact that he was talking to me, and also thumping with disappointment that, once again, I was so powerless to open my mouth and speak to him. Josh stood there for a few seconds, eyes searching my face, like he was wanting to say something. I wished with all my heart that I could open my stupid mouth and say something. Just one word would be enough. 

    Finally he nodded. "Ok, then," he said. "Bye."

    I waited until he was gone to look up from the ground. There he was, walking away confidently like he owned the world. I guess he could walk so confidently. He was the practical king of Richmore High. Good looks, awesome life- he had it all. Girls fought over him, and everyone showed up at the parties if Josh Holcomb was the one throwing it. But he seemed so... above them. He wasn't cocky, he wasn't arrogant. He was a simple, honest guy who cared about people, and I loved him for it.

    If only he knew that.