D Is For Danger

We explore the trees for about half an hour, feeling their rough bark and smooth leaves. But not even the beauty of the trees can district Tarna for long.
"Okay, people. Enough standing around! We have food, which is a relief. But shelter is our main problem. There are plenty of resources, but chopping these trees down will be a problem. Any ideas?" I think about this problem. Shadows, although powerful, would be a dangerous way to cut down trees. Definitely no fire or lightning, and Tarna is only good for the ground. Crazy gymnastics won't help, and neither will... Rolly. Shawn's ability to levitate objects won't help, and he's out cold most of the time anyways. So that rules our powers out. Our tools are swords, a twig- wait, swords! They're sharp like an axe, right? Will they work?
"We could use our swords." I suggest. The group considers this.
"We need to test your idea." Rolly says. "Let's find a tree in the clear, where we can't hurt anything." We go searching for a tree fitting this description, and a while later, we find it. A small-ish tree in a open area.
"Okay, who wants to do the honors?" asks Person. Ray steps forward.
"I've got this." he says, walking to inspect the tree. No one complains, because we know that Ray is an expert with a sword. Some of us have even been on the pointy side of it.
He takes out his sword and practice-swings. Then he pulls back and swings the sword into the tree. Crack! A large cut appears in the tree, and Ray swings again. Crack! The tree begins to tilt. Crack! It leans dangerously toward Ray.
"Hmph. I thought for sure that three would do the trick." he mutters. And with that, the tree falls on top of him. Ray's body is crushed, leaving flailing arms and legs to attack the fallen tree. We all run over and try to lift the tree.
"Hurry! He may only have seconds left!" cries Rolly. As hard as we try, the tree hardly moves.
"He's going to die!" cries Cass, tugging on the tree. "I just know it, he's-" Suddenly, flames shoot across the tree. We all let go, and I suck on my sizzled fingers. Fire races along the tree, and we know it must be Ray. Fire burns everywhere on the tree, and after a moment it simply falls apart. We all rush towards the smoldering body of Ray.
"Ray! Ray! Are you okay?" Tarna asks urgently. Ray doesn't respond. Rolly leans down to check his heartbeat.
"He's alive." We all sigh in relief. But our relief is cut short by another spurt of flames. The fire blasts towards Tarna, who raises a arm to bring up a earthen wall. The flames bounce off harmlessly. They die in midair.
"But- but he's unconscious!" Person says. "How could he-" Another wave of fire comes put of Ray's body, and we all duck for cover. ( Of course, the leaves probably won't help us much. ) Rolly makes an announcement from the bush he dove into.
"I think I get it! His body was running out of air, so his brain went into frenzy mode! His instincts to stay alive brought his ability out, and now he's recovering from frenzy mode." Rolly scrambles behind a tree as a small string of fire burns his bush. Luckily, the flames are getting smaller and attacking less often. Eventually they stop completely.
"His body recognizes that he's okay." Rolly says. "We're safe." Still cautious, we approach Ray's still-smoking body.
"So... we're safe." says Cass slowly. "But is he?"
With nothing else to do, Rolly goes nerd-mode and doctors Ray ( mostly just checking if he's alive and will continue to be ), and everyone else wanders around. We're already stocked up on green berries, but we have no water. I figure I might as well get some. I wander around, not really paying attention to the area around me.
"Wonderful. Just wonderful. First we lose Shiran, now we might lose Ray. Thanks a bunch, fate." Fate doesn't reply. "And you couldn't let Ray die in peace, either. No, he's got to stinking spasm fire!!! Are you kidding?" I kick the base of a tree, which seems to have lost all its majesty to my anger. I cry out in anger as pain shoots through my foot. Also, anger goes to fate. And that evil tree that nearly killed Ray. And Allen, stupid, stupid Allen. I think that at any moment, I might burst into angry flames.

"Respect the deal." A dark shape stands in a dark room.
"Any change is not my doing." the shape replies to itself.
"You cannot trick me!" the shape hisses. It also turns, and now we can see it in the light. It is a person, and an odd-looking one. The human is a boy, perhaps in his late teens or a bit older. He wears a dark cape, and a dark shirt, and dark pants. Even odder is the black helmet on his head, complete with dark spikes. But the oddest feature of this male are his eyes. They are grey, the pupils and iris and everything. They flicker momentarily to normal blue eyes, but quickly return to grey.
"I would not trick my own servant." The boy continues arguing with himself.
"I know your ways!" he yells. "I am your loyal tool, your sharpest sword. But I must be myself, not you. Stop this, now." The argument stops for a moment, and the boy's eyes become a tad lighter.
"I said-"
"Silence." the boy commands himself. "Can you not feel it?" The male stops, and focuses.
"Yes. He is angry, to the point of giving away his location. I must go." The male's eyes flicker again, and he walks into a dark hall, out of sight.