.•one•.

I say, can't see
Just close your eyes and breathe

Breathe out, breathe in
American oxygen

American Oxygen by Rihanna

****************

My skin felt raw by the time they were done, but thats not what worried me. Where did they take Max? I knew he would get harder treatment because he was male. Also he would probably fight back.

Lucky for me(sense my sarcasm), Immortan Joe wanted me to become what he called a breeder. It basically means I would be forced to have his children.

So, at his order, I was scrubbed clean every where, and I mean everywhere.I was bandaged up, which is ironic since most of the injuries I got when the war boys blew up mine and Max's car. I was then put in the most revealing clothes I had ever seen, not to mention the 'chastity belt'. That's what the other girls called it, I think it's more like a cage around my you know what. But at least the other girls were wearing similar things.

Speaking of the other girls, they were all running around frantically. Gathering things and talking in hushed voices.

I got up and followed one of them, she had darker skin than the rest of them and hair cropped short. She was barefoot and I was glad that I was allowed to keep my lace up boots. They matched my short sleeve crop top. And the piece of material that barely covered my private area. The people who gave me the outfit thought that having fringing around the edges of the skirt would help. It doesn't. You can still see 97% of my leg.

"What's going on?" I said to the girl, I can't remember any of the girls names, because they're all really weird. But I suppose mine isn't any better. Harley. I know it's not too bad, but being brought up in a motorcycle clan, it was pretty comical.

"We're leaving. Today. Imperator Furiosa is sneaking us out in the war rig and taking us to the green place", she explained, continuing to gather things.

"What's the green place?" I wasn't sure if I wanted to go with them. I mean sure, Immortan Joe is bad, but I need to stay where Max knows where to find me. And I need to find him. The only way we can survive in this world is together.

"It's the place where Furiosa grew up. She's taking us there", she was still walking around frantically. I was just standing in the corner, I had nothing to gather, the war boys had taken it all from me.

'What's there?"

"The Many Mothers". "Fresh water". "Freedom". "Plants". "Life".

By now all the gathering was done and the girls were sitting around me. One thing I noticed about them was that they were all gorgeous. Obviously they got chosen not only for the fact that they were fertile. They all had unique features, one had fiery red hair, another had white translucent hair. One had soft facial features and another had a hard set face, with very plump lips. She was also heavily pregnant.

"And we're all going?", when they nodded their head eagerly I continued, "I don't think I can come with you".

"WHAT!?"

"Don't you know what he'll do to you?" the pregnant girl asked.

"Of course I know, but I was brought in with my-", I had to stop and think of what to call him, "my friend. I can't leave without him".

"You don't even know where he is or if he's still alive! You can't do anything to help him!"

"I can try", I said, he had to be alive, he was Max. He had survived through so much. I'm not sure if anything was worse than what he had already suffered through.

"What would he tell you to do?"

Max would tell me to leave without him, to take my best chance of survival, even that meant leaving him.

*
**
*

So that's how I ended up sitting in the hatch of the war rig. Squashed up against a girl whose name I had only just learnt.

"Well at least we have vegetables", I said plucking off a leaf and eating it. It had been so long since I's had any fresh food, especially plants of any kind.

"Yeah, but we can't breathe", Cheedo said. She was the most miserable out of all of the girls. I don't think any of them knew how hard it was out in the Wasteland. How being in the back of a war rig, surrounded by supplies was a huge luxury.

"I'll go tell Furiosa", Angharad said, moving to get up.

"No, I'll go. You're too pregnant to be climbing all over moving vehicles with buzzards surrounding us", I said, already half way out the hatch, since I was sitting closest to it. I didn't wait to hear a reply and just left.

Climbing on a moving vehicle is hard enough. It becomes harder when you're wearing next to nothing and surrounded by war. I carefully made my way to the cab of the rig.

Cars were exploding and bullets were flying, and I was impressed with myself when I actually made it. The chastity belt didn't help at all, neither did my brown hair whipping me in the face. I wish I had tied it up when I had the chance.

I slid open the hatch and pushed half of my body through, I could see the battles going on, but I couldn't who was winning.

"The girls are complaining about not being able to breathe!", I shouted over the commotion of another explosion. They seemed much quieter before.

"Stay hidden!" Furiosa shouted, just as a huge saw came and tried to cut through the door.

I covered my face, but I didn't leave. I wanted to see more of what was going on, I hated not knowing.

The saw swung around and cut off three explosive shells, I saw the person strapped to the lances flinch and duck his head. The explosives when underneath the buzzard truck and blew up, taking the truck with it.

"Go back down! NOW!", Furiosa yelled, and I almost listened, she seemed stressed. But there was one thing I couldn't shake off my mind. I've never seen a person strapped to the front of a pursuit vehicle. It might just be my lack of knowledge on war boy culture, but that didn't seem right.

I squinted my eyes and moved closer to get a better look. Is that... Max? He had a muzzle on his face, I couldn't be sure. Furiosa's gonna hate me, but there's only one way to know for sure.

"MAX!" I shouted and got fully out of the hole.  I tried to situate myself somewhere he would see me. I saw his head jerk up, but then the car he was one was jerked around.

"MAX!" I shouted again.

"Get down!" Furiosa yelled and pushed me back down. Once I was down I heard a click. I didn't know she could lock the hatch, but I did know it wasn't safe for me to be where I was. If Max was alive, I needed to stay alive so I could get to him.

I made my back to the girls, and it was much easier this time. I knew I had to be quick because of the sandstorm up ahead.

"What happened?", Toast asked me when I climbed back in.

"I think I saw..." I trailed off.

Max. I saw Max.

OK

So that was a first chapter

let me know what you thought of it!

thanks for taking time out of your day(or night lets be real) to read this, it means a lot. 😘💖