Chapter One

~Present~

Mia

"Are you sure you have everything?" My aunt Jena asks me as I close the trunk of my car, after putting all my stuff into it. I turn to look at her and send her a reassuring smile.

"Yes, Jena. I checked everything twice." I tell her. She looks at me for a while, looking deep in thought, then smiles and holds out her hands to me.

"Come here." She says. "I need to hug you." She pulls me into bone-crushing hug. In every other situation I would complain about the lack o air, but right now I need to feel her close as well, so I wrap my arms around her and squeeze her back tightly. Then with the sudden movement, she pulls away. "Food!" She shouts. "You forgot about the food I made for you. Having such a long drive ahead of you. You need to eat!" Let's skip the fact that I could buy some food almost everywhere during my ride. If having her food with me on the road makes Jena feel better than I'm going to take it with me. It's the least I can do after everything she's sacrificed for me. She didn't have to take care of me after my mom abandoned me when Jena was just twenty five years old. She could have chosen having fun with friends or guys or focused on her career instead of a four years old kid. She gave up on so many things for me that I want to repay her for this even in the smallest gestures. "Wait here. I'm gonna go inside and grab it for you." She orders and turns her back to me, walking toward the house.

"Calm down, hon." I hear my uncle's amused voice coming from the direction of the front door. "I've got it." He raises his right hand up in the air, holding a bag with what I assume is the food for me. He comes closer to us with a wide grin on his face. At the age of forty, he still has this thing in him that would probably make every woman his if he just wanted it. But for some reason he stuck around a woman with a child who wasn't even hers.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bad that he decided to stay with my aunt. It's wonderful. She deserves to be happy and that's how he makes her feel. And he's a great guy. He never lets Jena feel unloved. And the same goes for me. They both treat me like their own child. For the last fourteen years, they gave me so much love that I'm not sure I will ever be able to repay them fully for this.

"Thanks, Josh." My aunt takes the bag from his hand and stands on her tip toes to kiss him. Josh keeps smiling even against her lips. And I can't help but let my own lips curve up in a small smile. Their love for each other is so unique. Too bad I won't ever experience it. Not after my promise to myself to never get too involved in a relationship. Strong, deep feelings are too risky. And my heart have been broken to many times by people I loved and trusted. "You're my hero." She says teasingly and then turns to face me, still hugging Josh with one arm.

"You ready to go, kiddo?" He asks me, pointing his head at my car.

"Yep." I reply, nodding.

"Guess there is nothing left, but wish you a safe journey." He says and smiles, pulling me into his arms. Gosh, I'm going to miss them.

"I just don't understand why you would want to study so far away." I hear my aunt say.

"You know why." I reply nicely. I need to get away from here. I need a fresh start.

"Yeah. I know." She sighs. "But it doesn't mean I like this idea. It's hard to say goodbye. I don't even know when I will get a chance to see you again." Her voice threatens to break and her lips twist into a sad smile.

"I promise I will visit as fast as I possibly can." I assure her, smiling, and she reaches and squeezes both of my hands. "I'm going to miss you. So freaking much." I say and my own voice cracks a little. No matter how much I don't want to stay in this town any longer, it's going to be damn hard to be so far away from them. They are my family. The people I love.