Crushes

9/16 Here, have a chapter that is just conversing and has nothing really to do with the plot. I hope you're enjoying this fic though!

11/2 Sorry it's been sooo long. I've had serious writers block. And very little motivation, tbh. I will finish this story, but as far as quality goes, it's up to you guys. (Meaning I'm basically gonna write this to get it done, and if it's not up to your standards, too bad.) I will be writing another one similar to this with a Bad!Reader. I have a lot of ideas for it, so I promise it'll be better than this one. But I do hope you still continue reading this and at least semi-enjoy it. 

---------THE NEXT DAY---------

At lunchtime, I notice Doug sitting at a picnic table by himself, doing homework. Food in hand, I go sit with him.

"Is there ever a time you're not studying?" I ask jokingly, taking his fedora and putting it on my head.

"Oh, haha. It's a short assignment and I just wanted to get it done."

"So, how's your day goin?"

"Not bad, I guess. I had to convince Mr. Delay to not expel Evie, though."

"What?!"

"Yeah. Chad stole her mirror and turned it in to him and said she was cheating. But I stood up for her and Mr. Delay said he'd return it and let her stay if she could pass today's test."

"Aww, that's cute."

"Um.."

"Come on, Doug. You can't hide your feelings; at least from me. I can totally tell you like her."

"Yeah, I guess. But do you see how she looks at Chad? She's only interested in princes, even though he totally ratted her out. I don't think she'll ever notice me."

"I don't know about that. You're a very genuine person, Doug. You don't do yourself justice. I mean, you stood up for her. If you hadn't, she'd probably be on her way back to the Isle right now. And you're one of the only people being nice to all four of them, Ben as well. I'm sure she's taken notice of you."

He smiles, taking his hat off my head and setting it on the table, "Well thanks for boosting my confidence. But I guess I'll just have to wait, and leave it at a Crush status for now."

"That sounds like a plan. So anyways, I actually came over here to ask you a question."

"Shoot."

"I was just curious as to why you didn't come comfort me yesterday after my little blow up with Carlos?"

"Speaking of 'crush status'..." he says with a little glint in his eyes, and a small smirk.

"Can you just answer the question?"

"Fine - I was going to, but he stopped me."

I raise an eyebrow, "Really?"

"Yeah. He insisted that he go comfort you. I asked to go with but he said no. He wanted to talk to you by himself."

"Oh, okay. Tha-"  

"-Do you like him?"

"Excuse me? I'm pretty sure that's private information. You shouldn't be asking a girl who she likes."

"Hey now. I told you about Evie, you can tell me whether or not you like Carlos. It's only fair."

"Um, first of all, you didn't tell me, I figured it out for myself that you like her-" 

"-Ok, fair-"

"-and second, again, that's private information." I finish, getting up to leave.

"Okayyy," he says, elongating the 'ay', "I'm just going to keep annoying you until you tell me."

"I would expect nothing less." With that, I begin to walk back into the school to return my tray. I turn around before going through the doorway and notice Evie draping her arms around Doug, showing him something. Probably her test that he was telling me about. Shortly after, she sits down beside him and continues talking. He looks up at me for a second and I wink. He rolls his eyes and continues listening to her. Not much later, I see a quite distressed Mal in the distance, walking their way. I probably look weird just standing watching them, so with that, I head through the doorway towards the dish return.

---

The bell rings for the end of the day. I'm thinking to myself, when my thoughts are interrupted, "So,  how's Carlos?"

"I don't know, Doug, how's Evie?" I sass back, shutting my locker and walking with him towards the dorms.

"Great, actually. She passed the test with a B+. That's what she was showing me when you left during lunch."

"Oh, well good for her! She's a lot smarter than she puts on, it seems."

"I think so too. I even asked her to hang out-"

"- oohhh. Like a date?"

"Well, I don't know yet. She said sure but then Mal came over."

"I saw that, what was that all about?"

"Ben asked her on a date."

"Ah. I see. Speaking of Ben -"

"Uh uh. I know what you're doing; stop trying to change the subject. I asked you about Carlos."

"And I told you it's confidential. You're not getting anything out of me. So you might as well stop trying."

Before he can retort, we make it to my dorm. I take out my key and open the door, "See ya tomorrow."