Part One

August 4, 1862
Eren Jaeger, Union Cavalry

I can't sleep.

The sound of the rain is keeping a few us up, so I'm not the only one writing a new entry.

Some days I wonder why I joined the army, but then I remember what happened last year. A few stray soldiers from the Confederate Infantry stumbled upon our farm and wreaked havoc. They killed my mother and wounded my adopted sister. I will never forgive them for what they did, and I will ensure that the Union wins this war.

Mikasa is fine now, she works in the nursing station just a mile away. My friend Armin is sleeping in the cot a few feet over, and Jean is writing a letter on the cot opposite of me.

Jean and I don't really get along that well, but we fight for the same reason. We both wear blue uniforms.

I heard earlier today that there's supposed to be a battle coming up soon. I'm not sure when, but I'm terrified that our brigade will be called into battle.

All the best.

~^~•~^~

Dear Sasha,

I'm sorry that it's been so long. Recently we haven't had much time to write any letters, but tonight the rain is keeping a good few of us up.

I miss you. You probably don't realize how many nights I stay up with you on my mind. I just hope that you and the baby are alright, and I'm sorry that I can't be there at such an important time.

How is Mother doing? Is she holding up well? Tell her that I love her and that I'm sorry for everything. I know that I've been apologizing a lot, but I have a lot to apologize for.

I love you, please don't forget that.

Love,
Jean Kirschtien
2nd Lieutenant, 104th Regiment, Union Cavalry

~^~•~^~

August 5, 1862
Armin Arlert, Union Cavalry

Recently the regiment hasn't had as much free time as per usual. Ever since the new captain arrived we've spent a good amount of time cleaning and making sure that everything is spotless. I have yet to meet our captain, but he seems... interesting, to say the least.

I wish I wasn't such a burden. All the other soldiers are tall and muscular people, and then there's me- the small blonde one. I try to do the best I can, but I'm not really the best for fighting. I've been told by a few people that I'm intelligent and make good battle strategies, but honestly? I want to be able to fight as well as the others do. I want to feel useful.

Tomorrow we ride from New Jersey into Pennsylvania. It's not only a long journey for us, but for the horses as well. I wish they were treated better.

~^~•~^~

August 5, 1862
Mikasa Ackerman

Eren's brigade just left for Pennsylvania. It was hard to say goodbye to him, especially since I thought at the time I would be staying here in New Jersey.

Just about an hour ago I was told I would be moving to an on-field hospital in Virginia. I'm expected there by the 26th. I'm a little disappointed that I'll be leaving Krista behind, but she insisted that she'd be fine with Mina and Ymir. I don't doubt her, but I certainly won't have anyone.

~^~•~^~

Dear Father,

I wish you would forgive me.

I don't want to go North either, but I've been ordered too. You know that I'm whole-heartedly devoted to the Confederacy, and that's why I'm doing this.

Since this is going to end up being burned anyway, I won't even bother writing more.

Sincerely,
Annie